XBOX 360 vs. Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
well if price is that much of an issue, why not wait for nintendo revolution.... backwards compatible dowloads of all previous nintendo systems and a estimated price tag of around 199$. **** the controller is even more wacky then the ps or xbox glob of plastic. Ive recently made the jump this year from consoles to building pc's and im not looking back....not yet. I think it all comes down to what games you want to play. If you want to be playing world of warcraft or CS Source or whatever it is, your going to pay the price for a pc regardless. If you want to play halo 3 then your going to pay for an xbox 360.

I dont really see how price is an argument, given that the two have completely different capabilities. Remember you get what you pay for, and besides...if you have enough cash to buy a 360... then you can wait and come up with enough cash to buy a good pc, especially if it means you can use it for work, communication, research, media, storage, etc etc etc

a 400$ pc doesnt get you xbox 360 graphics and gaming, but it gets you alot more then any console ever will in the near future.

The Xbox 360 is a gaming console. A GAMING CONSOLE. Its not supposed to do all the things that a computer can do.

The only thing (unless you do high-end CAD) that takes the price of your computer above $500 is playing games. A $500 can do everything that a Xbox 360 cannot do. Thus gaming computer - obsolete.

Does it have the Games?
Counter strike source, dod source

i bet over 80% of people will not use an lcd for there console

xbox live? i dont feel like paying $70 a year. no thanks. plus you have to pay for the downloads even if you are signed up for xbox live (halo 2 and the new maps)..

if i'm going to pay over $400 for a system (ps3) it would make sense just buying pc which has immensely more capabilites

And costs 4x as much? No thanks, I'll pass.

It doesn't matter how many people use a LCD monitor for their 360. The fact is that the capability is there.

Green Radience said:
The Xbox 360 is a gaming console. A GAMING CONSOLE. Its not supposed to do all the things that a computer can do.

Why bother integrating media functions then? Its not supposed to do the things a computer can do...ok thats fine... why bother comparing them at all then...?

Gaming PC= Obselete? I think the definition of obsolete is "no longer in use or valid" or "outdated". If a high end pc outperforms the xbox 360 then how is it obsolete?

Anyway, given that price is not an issue the pc spanks the xbox 360 around the block...as there is nothing an xbox 360 can do that a pc cant do better.

Given that price is an issue, there is equality. Lets say you build a 7900gt pc for 1000$. The extra 600$ that you are paying is not wasted money, you are paying for essential tools that are needed by the average person, and the functionality that a pc brings.

Something else i thought of that no one else mentioned....

Average xbox 360 owner pays 400$ for xbox+mem card etc + some cash for a tv ( because they dont wanna burn their plasma) and then they pay an additional 800$ + monitor (or whatever those mainstream dells cost nowadays) for an every day use pc. Which is about the same (excluding the extra tv :D ) as paying 1000-1200$ for a high end pc with 7900gtx graphics. (dont tell me that isnt possible becase for 1200$ it is very possible if you do it right...)

Nevermind the fact that you only need one package with a pc... and having a crap pc and an xbox 360 = alot more loose cords....:p

So basically, their both good in some respects and as always... it comes down to preference... Either way your supporting microsoft.

I'm not even going to bother reading this rubbish anymore. To the OP.

Xbox 360 vs. Computer?

Games? Xbox 360.

Applications (Word, AIM, pinball)? Computer.

Pick the one thats more important to you and go with it.

This is how I view this whole thing:

PC's are meant to do a variety of tasks. E-mail, internet, solitaire, movies, photoshop, gaming, etc.
Consoles are meant to play games on, that's it.

The average consumer PC probably is around $500-$800 and whether you have a console or not, and whether or not you game, you are going to have that $800 computer.
Xbox's cost around $400 (right?)
Add $400 to that $800 PC and you have a pretty good gaming PC there.

It all depends on how you want to proportionate your money. Either you would like to keep your $800 PC and do moderate gaming, and get an Xbox360 to game on, or just spend $1200 on a gaming rig. It all depends on your priorities of gaming. I prefer my PC to game on, but that is mainly because I have grown bored with my PS2 and have not liked many of the games out recently. I may be investing in the Nintendo Wii when it comes out.

I can honestly say I miss the days when I used to sit around with 2-3 friends to play Goldeneye on my N64. I think that's what consoles are good for, but Xbox Live is ruining it (sort of). Consoles are fun because you can be playing and have a friend there with you playing too, or you switching off. It's just a really nice environment. However Xbox Live has the problem that I think PC's have. You play online multiplayer, but you arent really there with the people. It's not the same environment.

I skimmed your post AnthraX.

Yea, $1200 might get you a good gaming PC if you cut corners, but that videocard will get older and older with every single new game that comes out. You have to upgrade that videocard to keep up with the Xbox 360, and that adds up to over $2000 in just that one year.

yeah i remember the n64 days... wii looks like something i might buy as well..
I like to categorize games in two ways: Console games and PC games

Ive just found that the xbox series of consoles are too close the to the types of games on PC. IE mostly shooters, sports etc.

Console games i like to think of as games like Mario....Zelda....fighting games...these are the types of games that arent on pc's, which is why i think Wii might be worth buying given the price and backward compatibility.

I guess I have been so quick to support pc's that i forgot to mention the best and most fun games i have ever played were the early days on the SNES. Chrono Trigger, Super Mario Kart, Street Fighter... If they ever made a true chrono trigger successor then i would buy the console right away.

My point is that it really depends on the games...hardware is secondary. You can have the cheapest most powerful system ever...but if you are forced to play "My Little Pony: The Prettiest Pony Dress Up Game on Earth" it wont even matter how the machines specs/price ratio is.

Green Radience said:
You have to upgrade that videocard to keep up with the Xbox 360, and that adds up to over $2000 in just that one year.

what? Your Video Card performance degrades over time? You will have to pay more money to keep up with the xbox 360? If 360=7900gt then why do you need to spend more money to keep up....if you mean new games...just take down the settings. New games at medium settings=older games at max settings no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom