X2 or not to X2 THAT is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callan

Baseband Member
I need help, do i use a Athlon 64 San Diego 4000+ 2.4Ghz or a Athlon 64 X2 4200/3800 Manchester 2.2Ghz/2.0Ghz because im worried if i go dual core it will be too slow for my gaming needs (BF2, HL2 HDR, Splinter Cell Double Agent) what your opinion?

Cdiablo

Right now the single core will game faster. The x2 is more future proof. If you want performance right now and dont mind buyying a new chip in a few years go with the san diego. (for gamming)

Thanks very much i was gonna go with a 4000+ San Diego and then upgrade later. Thanks for confirming.

Cdiablo

its only a 200mhz difference, will that really improve the gameplay that drastically over a dual core?

its only a 200mhz difference, will that really improve the gameplay that drastically over a dual core?

not really. i fail to see why people keep saying dual cores are slow. i mean the lowest clocked dual core is 2x3200+ cores (the opteron 165 is roughly this as well). and considering the number of people i have seen buy a 3200+ and a high powered video card, well i just can't see the disadvantage

nitestick said:
not really. i fail to see why people keep saying dual cores are slow. i mean the lowest clocked dual core is 2x3200+ cores (the opteron 165 is roughly this as well). and considering the number of people i have seen buy a 3200+ and a high powered video card, well i just can't see the disadvantage

couldnt agree more.. i recently ordered a 4200+ dual core and awaiting it any day ::p

I think the new PhysX PPU card requiers a dual-core processor. So, if your a gamer, You better go dual-core.

The only advantage that the 4000 San Diego would have over say an x2 3800 or 4200 is larger L2 cache. 1mb L2 cache vs. 512kb L2 cache on each core of the x2.

so technically its the same.........get a dual core......you can OC it as well..........so........i dont see how a dual core is bad.......some people are so close minded "oh, games only use single cores, so why waste money on dual core?" CAUSE ITS THE FUTURE!

for the money you're going to get a faster single core chip than a dual core but thats irrelevant because a 3200+ CPU will play any game in existance just fine when paired with a good graphics card.

There is no good reason not to go dual core, over the next couple of years soft is going to start more and more advantage of multi cores, that includes games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom