x1950xt vs 8800gt

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyCurious

Daemon Poster
Ok, right off the bat, I know the 8800gt is better. I just wanted to know if Directx 10 is an IMPORTANT factor for the future?

What would be the advantages of having a directx 10 card? Just to play games that support dx10? If a game is dx10, does that mean a dx9 card cannot play a dx10 game? I'm kind of confused about this... i won't be overclocking my cpu or video card.

New build in about a month:
q6600
2gb g.skill
p35dsr
400gb seagate
550w psu
video card: leaning towards x1950xt, but it is dx9 card so i'm asking this question

DX10 would be an important factor, to play DX10 games, to their full potential. Other than that, a high-end DX9 card can still play DX10 games, reasonably.

For quite some time, dx10 games will be playable on dx9 video cards. You really shouldn't have to worry about that. Look at half life 2 for instance, it's playable on dx 7 cards. I would say if you have the money, then yeah it is a pretty important factor -- but personally I'm not willing to spend $250+ on a dx10 card that will be replaced in a few months by much more poewrful cards that will support dx10.1.

The dx10 cards also support some higher quality rendering so if you compare an 8 series card to a 7 series card, the image quality will be better on the 8; however, it's not THAT drastic.

As for the x1950xt.... I'm not very happy with mine. It runs very hot, it's very loud, and my particular card is having graphical issues.

First off you mean the 8800GTS. Second yes the only major advantage for having a DX10 card of DX9 is just to use DX10. Yes DX9 cards such as the X1950XT can play DX10 games, but just not as pretty in terms of graphic enhancements. If you going with a build like the 8800GTS is a good bit more powerful.

Lastly...why would you not overclock at least your GPU? It is impossible to damage a GPU if you don't volt mod it and your card stays under 90 degrees usually. The CPU is also very very safe to overclock.

Well I will love it when my E6300 clocked @ 3.22 does better than your Quad-Core in games. Cheers!

yea people freak way too much when it comes to overclocking i have never heard of someone messing up their rig by overclocking, unless they were completely idiotic and didnt read just a little about it before hand

yea people freak way too much when it comes to overclocking i have never heard of someone messing up their rig by overclocking, unless they were completely idiotic and didnt read just a little about it before hand

TO THIS DAY, OVER A YEAR. I have still never heard of one person on an overclock site fry a Core 2 Duo Chip by overclocking. This isn't the 90's anymore, motherboards shut off when they see a too high overclock it's as simple as that. As long as you dont try to shove 1.8 vcore through your chip at once it is completely safe.

well, this is my FIRST build... so with that kind of pressure (dunno what kind of trouble i'll run into), I don't want to be thinking about OCing on the side. I'll probably change my mind AFTER I build my computer. But, right now, it's too much to think about!! Hope you guys understand. LOL After I build my system, you can rest assured that I'll be back on these forums asking questions about OCing.

edit: found the answer to the 8600GTS question, so i deleted it...

well, this is my FIRST build... so with that kind of pressure (dunno what kind of trouble i'll run into), I don't want to be thinking about OCing on the side. I'll probably change my mind AFTER I build my computer. But, right now, it's too much to think about!! Hope you guys understand. LOL After I build my system, you can rest assured that I'll be back on these forums asking questions about OCing.

Is a 8600GTS (NOT 8800GTS) better than a x1950xt??
Cuz the 8600GTS is a dx10 card... and fits more into my budget.

No the 8600GTS is not more powerful than an X1950XT really...however it it is quite fast (especially if you overclock it so do it hah)

I myself would still get an X1950XT just because the 8600GTS even itself wont play DX10 games well enough when you want to.

No the 8600GTS is not more powerful than an X1950XT really...however it it is quite fast (especially if you overclock it so do it hah)

I myself would still get an X1950XT just because the 8600GTS even itself wont play DX10 games well enough when you want to.

Yeah, found a post where everyone chose x1950xt over the 8600gts... heh

No, the x1950xt destroys the 8600gts. I think the 8600gts is a waste of a card actually, at least until the price drops more.

I think it's pretty important to figure out what games you are playing currently, and what your budget is before deciding on a card. Also, is it important to you to play the games at very high settings or do you just want to be able to play the game? Of course anyone could recommend an 8800gts, but not everyone really needs one. Would you be willing to upgrade in 6 months to get a truly good dx10 card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom