x1950xt vs 8800gt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just plan ahead and make sure your case is a good cooler and you can get a PCI VGA cooler to cool down a hot card such as an X1950XT and you will enjoy the FPS you are recieveing. DX10 won't be in for another 4 or 5 months and by then you can actually get a GOOD DX10 card rather than a crappy 8600GTS that will do about 40 FPS on lowest settings compared to an X1950XT that would do medium instead in those circumstances.

Would you be willing to upgrade in 6 months to get a truly good dx10 card?

That's a good question... So are you implying that new dx10 cards will be out around Christmas time?

When do you guys think the 8800GTS will drop in price??? I don't want to buy it (on July 22nd) and see the price fall afterwards.... that would freakin suck.

Were not too sure when the 8800GTS will go down in price but for now it has no real competition except the overpriced R600 and Nvidia itself when it released the 9 series which we don't know yet. I still say get an X1950XT for now and just upgrade a few months later like around christmas.

Just plan ahead and make sure your case is a good cooler and you can get a PCI VGA cooler to cool down a hot card such as an X1950XT and you will enjoy the FPS you are recieveing. DX10 won't be in for another 4 or 5 months and by then you can actually get a GOOD DX10 card rather than a crappy 8600GTS that will do about 40 FPS on lowest settings compared to an X1950XT that would do medium instead in those circumstances.

I plan on getting an 9800gts (if that is what it will be called) when it gets released.

That's a good question... So are you implying that new dx10 cards will be out around Christmas time?

When do you guys think the 8800GTS will drop in price??? I don't want to buy it (on July 22nd) and see the price fall afterwards.... that would freakin suck.

According to nvidia, the new 9 series will be released around this christmas -maybe even before. I'm not sure if anyone really knows whe nthere will be a significant price drop in the 8600 line. I would guess there won't be a big one until mid range 9 series cards come out.

Were not too sure when the 8800GTS will go down in price but for now it has no real competition except the overpriced R600 and Nvidia itself when it released the 9 series which we don't know yet. I still say get an X1950XT for now and just upgrade a few months later like around christmas.

If he will be upgrading in a few months, why waste the money on getting a power card like the x1950xt? What games will he be playing in the next couple months that would significantly stress an 8600gt or even a 7600gt? We don't know this yet.

Just plan ahead and make sure your case is a good cooler and you can get a PCI VGA cooler to cool down a hot card such as an X1950XT and you will enjoy the FPS you are recieveing.

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Is that a good case?? That's what I'm planning on getting... not sure if it has good cooling... I heard it did.

If he will be upgrading in a few months, why waste the money on getting a power card like the x1950xt? What games will he be playing in the next couple months that would significantly stress an 8600gt or even a 7600gt? We don't know this yet.

I have Doom3, which I haven't even played yet cuz my laptop doesn't get too great FPS on it. It's decent, but I'd rather wait to play with better FPS. I've already beaten FEAR, probably on minimum graphics. Probably nothing CRAZY yet as in FPS... but I would like to play Crysis, Alan Wake, Bioshock, AND DEFINITELY Starcraft 2 (which I know doesn't stress FPS, but I heard you need pretty good hardware to play it). That's why I chose q6600 over e6750. And now the video card future proofing problem... it's seems like the worst time to get a video card.

Also your right we don't know but he was willing to shell out 165 for an 8600GTS so why not spend 5 more for the X1950XT

He does seem to be willing to spend that much... but he hasn't really mentioned if he would like to upgrade within 6 months after that $150-200 purchase. If so, I think it would be a waste of funds to get a card like that especially if he is not going to be playing any intensive games for a bit.

I have Doom3, which I haven't even played yet cuz my laptop doesn't get too great FPS on it. It's decent, but I'd rather wait to play with better FPS. I've already beaten FEAR, probably on minimum graphics. Probably nothing CRAZY yet as in FPS... but I would like to play Crysis, Alan Wake, Bioshock, AND DEFINITELY Starcraft 2 (which I know doesn't stress FPS, but I heard you need pretty good hardware to play it). That's why I chose q6600 over e6750. And now the video card future proofing problem... it's seems like the worst time to get a video card.

Even a 7600gt will play doom 3 on high easily (my 6600gt was able to run high at 1600 res). As to the other games you listed, I don't even think an 8800gts will be able tp play Alan Wake or Crysis on max settings. I believe it would be better to wait for the 9 series if you are interested on playing those games on max.

Good idea on getting the q6600, thoes cores will come in handy for crysis and alan wake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom