X1900XTX vs. 7950 GX2 - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 03:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoad
Sorry to barge in, but I was REALLY sure the 7950GX2 is actually two GTX's, was I wrong?

-Jo.
7900 GTX GPU: 650/1600
7950 GX2 GPU: 500/1200
7900 GT GPU: 450/1320*

Yes you were. They did have a card sporting twin GTXs but it was increadibly long and needed four PCI-E 6-pin power plugs to run it since it needed a HUGE amount of power. So NVIDIA turned down the speed to reduce power consumption.

* [NOTE] If you look many companies like EVGA and XFX clock their 7900 GTs to much higher clocks.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Beefcake
7900 GTX GPU: 650/1600
7950 GX2 GPU: 500/1200
7900 GT GPU: 450/1320*

Yes you were. They did have a card sporting twin GTXs but it was increadibly long and needed four PCI-E 6-pin power plugs to run it since it needed a HUGE amount of power. So NVIDIA turned down the speed to reduce power consumption.

* [NOTE] If you look many companies like EVGA and XFX clock their 7900 GTs to much higher clocks.
So, according to that, the GTX is faster than the GX2, but less expensive? That makes no sense. Why have a card that is less expensive outpreform a card that is so much more money? No one would buy the other card because it is a waste of money and the cheaper one is better...

Also, I read that there are alot of problems plauging the 79XX series of cards, is it worth the risk to buy one?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...rMessage-1.png

Here\'s a quote I saw once on a /b/ forum a while back, I think it\'s funny:

I\'ve been thinking of \"Heck\" lately. If it even exists, it\'s got to be a much nicer place than \"Heaven\". I mean... all the gay men are down there. You KNOW it\'s well decorated.

Note that I do not in any way condone homophobia or am in any way homophobic. I merely thought that it was clever.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Wall_117
So, according to that, the GTX is faster than the GX2, but less expensive? That makes no sense. Why have a card that is less expensive outpreform a card that is so much more money? No one would buy the other card because it is a waste of money and the cheaper one is better...

Also, I read that there are alot of problems plauging the 79XX series of cards, is it worth the risk to buy one?
The GX2 has two GPU's and twice the ram. It performs wayyy wayy better.

I've read that there are a lot of problems plauging all of ATi's drivers for every card they have. Is it worth the risk to buy one?

God doesn't make hardware, all hardware has problems. Yes it's worth the risk.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by The General
The GX2 has two GPU's and twice the ram. It performs wayyy wayy better.
Thanks, I was puzzled about that.

I am thinking of buying a 7900GT 512MB OC'd edition, is it worth the risk to get one with all of hte problems that the 79XX series has?

Nevermind the above, you edited your post.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...rMessage-1.png

Here\'s a quote I saw once on a /b/ forum a while back, I think it\'s funny:

I\'ve been thinking of \"Heck\" lately. If it even exists, it\'s got to be a much nicer place than \"Heaven\". I mean... all the gay men are down there. You KNOW it\'s well decorated.

Note that I do not in any way condone homophobia or am in any way homophobic. I merely thought that it was clever.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Wall_117

GTX has one GPU, while GX2 has two GPU, so GX2 is better.

7950GX2 is better than two 7900GT in SLI, but two 7900GTX in SLI is better than 7950GX2
look at these benchmarks
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...950gx2_13.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...950gx2_14.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...950gx2_12.html
Old 08-22-2006, 05:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah sorry, I tend to do that especially after people have already read and quoted and replied to the first version.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Yeah, definitely getting an eVGA 7950GX2. Right nwo I have an ATI and I get errors at least once during any gaming session. I used to have terrible problems with lines going thru the screen and shading problems.

Anyway, I checked various places and it goes fine with Asus P5W. Yay! Ordering everything today

RM

Microsoft Intellimouse Optical Black (old school fo sho!)
Closed Thread