X-fi rumors of no front panel support false?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the Audigy 2 ZS has the same pinouts as the X-Fi's do

1 - Analog Ground
2 - Analog Headphone Out Left
3 - Audio Backpanel Mute -- short to ground to mute the backpanel (when headphones are plugged in)
4 - Analog Headphone Out Right
5 - same as #3
6 - Mic input from front panel
7 - key pin (shouldn't be there)
8 - VREF out -- voltage reference for Mic
9 - MIC IN MUTE -- ground when mic isn't plugged in, +12VDC when mic is plugged in
10 - Audio cable detect -- will be ground when headphones are plugged in (not normally used)

pin 10 is closest to the PCI bracket, pin 1 is closer to the centre of the card.

Reason why i stick to the mobo's built in sound. No reason for me to upgrade and spend more money as I dont use my sound that much anyway. Unless your a musician or planning to make a pc mainly used for studio and sound editing then thats when you want to change ur stock soundcards :D

you'd be suprised how much it helps in gaming...
X-Fi's are extremely good for gaming.
They have EAX 5.0, CMSS 3D, and the most powerful sound processing unit of all sound cards.
It supports up to 128 simultaneous sounds, with up to 4 effects on each sound

They don't have as low distortion as a lot of high-end sound cards though, so some people don't like to use them for music etc.

But, you can do what I did, and replace the OpAmps with much lower distortion ones (I used LME49720MA's for most of the channels, and an LM4562 for the bass channel)

Plus, you can replace the power capacitor with one that has, say, 2200uf capacitance for better power smoothing.

With those mods, they have much lower distortion that most high-end sound cards do (which cost more)

Basically, at stock, the X-Fi is much better if you want 3D surround (even with headphones), but not as good as some cards for music. Though it's significantly better than onboard.

If you mod it, it's even better for games, and music.

So what does it do? add more sound effects that you cant hear on a built in sound card?
better 3D surround, and more sounds at once. That's on top of having better quality sound.

Basically, with better 3D surround, you can pinpoint enemies more easily by listening for them.

And yeah, it can play more sounds simultaneously, with 4 effects per sound. Better for framerate, and for more complex games.

Reason why i stick to the mobo's built in sound. No reason for me to upgrade and spend more money as I dont use my sound that much anyway. Unless your a musician or planning to make a pc mainly used for studio and sound editing then thats when you want to change ur stock soundcards :D

Well then why did you waste all your money on your expensive gaming system and you won't dish out another 50 for great sound? Ive heard the differance and as that one review said, theres no comparison. Your doing yourself a disfavor

look at it this way, if you have a card dedicated to graphic processing...doesn't it make sense to have a card dedicated to sound processing as well? Apoc couldn't have said it better tho

Onboard sound is just fine for some people. My friend plays with onboard, but has his game volumes down semi-low, but he has music full blast going in the background.

I, along with most of the people here, prefer the better sound quality you can only get from a sound card. However, I am not a fan of Creative anymore so if you want good support and drivers, maybe you should look around the market.

the Audigy 2 ZS has the same pinouts as the X-Fi's do

1 - Analog Ground
2 - Analog Headphone Out Left
3 - Audio Backpanel Mute -- short to ground to mute the backpanel (when headphones are plugged in)
4 - Analog Headphone Out Right
5 - same as #3
6 - Mic input from front panel
7 - key pin (shouldn't be there)
8 - VREF out -- voltage reference for Mic
9 - MIC IN MUTE -- ground when mic isn't plugged in, +12VDC when mic is plugged in
10 - Audio cable detect -- will be ground when headphones are plugged in (not normally used)

pin 10 is closest to the PCI bracket, pin 1 is closer to the centre of the card.

i found that info. too bad my case has an audio plug that isnt labled and doesnt fit the 10 pin on the card :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom