x-fi=better fps? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2006, 10:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie

The X-Fi Xtreme Music is the only X-Fi worth the money, unless you play with music a lot.

Unless you actually experienced with the X-Fi you can't say it's not much better then normal sound cards, unless you heard it on crappy speakers (on games that have EAX 5.0 support) . It is very noticalbe with headphones. And the fact that it is the only sound cards that have EAX 5.0 support I say it's worth it.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

The X-fi has 24 times more processing power then the Audigy 2 ZS series. It also has the processing power equivelent of a P4 3.2Ghz CPU. It turns out over 10,000 MIPS. It's a very powerful audio processor.

The most noticable thing to me is the ability to enable up to 128 voices in a supporting game. BF2 & Quake 4 both support 128 voices with x-fi. I don't have quake 4 but I do have BF2 and the difference is substancial (Enabled vs. Disabled).

The mulitude of sound variety during game play is jaw dropping. Everytime I play I always hear a new sound that i've never heard before. It's really impressive. For example: If you are crawling through grass... you can hear that rustling sound. But as you pass through a bush, the rustling sound changes noticably. yet you can still hear the grass. Birds fly off and you can hear a variety of sounds from the birds. Not just one standard flock sound taking off. There are a variation in tones (high & low).

After you've played BF2 enough, you can actually start to tell what gun a player is firing just by the sound. And with x-fi if there are 10 guns firing all at once, you can hear each of those guns distinctly.

Overall - i'm glad I bought this card. I'm praying that other games choose to support it. Most of all UT2007 must use this... Or i'll kick someone's butt..

Old 02-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Alex81388

At this point it isn't about the resources it saves, it just plain sounds kick ***. All of the software options with it are amazing as well, effects for anything and even audio creation mode is sweet.

I have the most basic version too.
Sig removed due to foul language. Please read the rules regarding the allowable content of sigs before reposting your COMPLIANT sig.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Techie

How much is it....
I wish I had my Computer...:(
Old 02-06-2006, 04:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to gurusan

Wow I just bought one of these last night....this thread is way informative!

|| 2500K @ 5GHz 1 thread, 4.8 2 threads, 4.6 3, 4.5 4 1.284V ||
|| P8P67-M Pro || 8GB @ 2133MHz ||
|| 5850 @ 1000/1225 || XFX 650W || Silverstone FT03B ||
|| 37" LCD TV || CM Hyper 212+ || Samsung 2.1 Soundbar ||
Old 02-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Build Guru

Overall - i'm glad I bought this card. I'm praying that other games choose to support it. Most of all UT2007 must use this... Or i'll kick someone's butt..
I will be right there w/ you!! Im going to get one of the X-FI cards as soon as i stop spending money on cars and i get the 7800GS. It better be **** well worth it.
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I've got an Extreme Music myself I always thought it had 64 megs of RAM but someone said it didn't so what is it using 32 megs? Regardless it does sound great.

<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search TF before you post!\"></form>
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Closed Thread