Which X-Fi?? - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 01:25 AM   #31 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Switch

Well, all these games sound like *** on my Live! CoD2 for example sounds better in the Miles 2D positional Audio mode, than EAX 3.0. Same with every other game except SCCT and FEAR (which sadly doesn't sound much better aside from 5.1 support). I'm hoping to get an XtremeMusic sometime soon.

Oh well, At least my Live! is better than onboard and at least it supports EAX.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #32 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Does anyone know if Call of Duty 2 supports X-fi and EAX 5.0?

Old 12-01-2005, 06:07 PM   #33 (permalink)
Super Techie

Audigy 2 ZS
Old 12-01-2005, 08:21 PM   #34 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Is the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Internal Sound Card any better, because it cost more and if you through amazon you can get a $80 rebate hich would make a total of $100.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/reb...&s=electronics
Old 12-01-2005, 09:39 PM   #35 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

LOL if anybody is in the market for a new sound card, DO NOT GET AN AUDIGY. They have been replaced with the X-fi series which is 24 times more powerful than an Audigy 2, and it has all kinds of new features like EAX 5.0, 24 bit crystalizer, improved CMSS 3D (which totally kicks ***), and all kinds of other things. Get at least an X-fi XtremeMusic on newegg for $117. Or if you use pricegrabber you can find it for as low as $106.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:06 AM   #36 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

003 do you already have the Fatal1ty FPS or are you getting it?

The only thing I really hate about it is the ribbon cable it comes with to attach the Front Panel to the Card. They could have freakin' thought about using a rounded cable instead. I mean, Fatal1ty = Gamer = Gamers will buy this version of the card = gamers usually MOD their cases and care about Airflow???

HELLO CREATIVE... WAKE UP!!!!

I guess you could mod it yourself... But, hell... I'm not going to make cuts into a ribbon cable and shrink wrap it... I guess elastic bands would do the trick too... ???
Old 12-02-2005, 07:36 AM   #37 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Yes I got it. I don't personally like the ribbon cable either, but now in FEAR the annoying crackling that I used to get with the Audigy2 and hardware mixing enabled is gone! Also, I have a question, there is a floppy power connector on the sound card and on the thing that goes in the drive bay. So far I only have the one in the drive bay pluggged in because I don't have enough floppy connectors. It seems to be working fine, do I need the one on the sound card plugged it? Also, I have been reading how good the CMSS 3D is on the X-Fi cards, how do I properly enable it? I have it enabled in Stereo Surround mode, with that slider at the default setting, is that what you are susposed to do? Oh yeah, I have now set sound quality to maximum in FEAR, which uses 96 sounds instead of 64, and in the preformance test I have actually gained 2 FPS! You can enable that in advanced computer settings.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #38 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

When I get home I'll take a looking inside my PC and check it out. I only remember hooking up the Front Panel to a Floppy Molex. I don't remember if I hooked up the card? I'll check later and post.

CMSS 3D is great for non-Surround Headphones. It creates an excellent surround field with standard headphones... You get simulated positional sound in games. It's also upmixes any MP3 or other media audio file and allows you to listen to it in 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 Surround.

003 do you play Battlefield 2?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #39 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I tried te BF2 demo once, but I couldn't get it to start. I mainly play FEAR and UT2004. I know what CMSS 3D is, but what are the best settings for it to get surround sound in stereo headphones? There are different settings you can choose for it.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:59 PM   #40 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

You couldn't get BF2 to start? Or you couldn't get BF2/X-fi Settings to start? With you're PC BF2 should run fantastic? If you're running a firewall, you need to manually configure BF2 in the firewall. IF it's the BF2/x-fi Settings you're talking about, then you need to do the following.

Set the X-fi mode to GAMING - First... Then log-in to BF2, Then change the Setting to x-fi....Then change the setting to ULTRA. This is the only way it works. The x-fi ultra settings only work in GAMING mode. And that needs to be set first. Sometime's i'll start BF2 in entertainment mode and when I login to BF2 i have no sound and the settings say AUDIO_SETTING. I have to close BF2 then change to gaming then log back in. Kinda Sucks...

FOR CMSS 3D settings I leave the slider at "Stereo Xpand" I guess this gives you more of a virtual surround feel. And Stereo Surround is a duplication of sound to each speaker. For games though I think it should be turned off when using speakers. For headphones I guess "Stereo Xpand" is the best option..? Not sure though?

My Headphones are Zalman Theater 6's and they are very good surround head phones... So, i leave my settings at 5.1 and everything else just as it would be with my z-5500's.

I'll check my crappy pair of headphones when I get home is about 20 minutes and post back and let you know. Also, i'll check the floppy connecter thing you were talking about earlier... Because i'm kinda interested in what I did... Since I can't seem to remember... Getting old sucks....

Closed Thread