Would You Buy an 'Open Box' Laptop? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2016, 11:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Residential Loon

Default Re: Would You Buy an 'Open Box' Laptop?

Over the course of this weekend I had bought some used laptop parts from a gye on my local trader site. I bought these used laptop parts for exactly £60 thus being $86.29 approx.

I had got three storage boxes of stuff and three black bin liners of stuff for that price. All most everything I buy is used simply because I enjoy it this way as I like to reuse and recycle.

He did mention him self some of the components were untested but I took my chances for the sake of £60 hear in GBP ..

Just thought I'd mention that as a lot of stuff I have bought over the years has worked perfectly despite being in used or open box condition.

My HDD just recently failed all to gether I havenít stripped the system down yet but the HDD was over 8 years old and lasted all that time despite being booted 24 \ 7 on most occasions.

Spud1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I would if it was cheap enough and has to be in grade A condition.

I would not buy a brand new model 2nd hand, rather pay the extra £50-£100ish for the warranties etc.

I would only buy online, never in person as you have no protection.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulezero View Post
I would if it was cheap enough and has to be in grade A condition.

I would not buy a brand new model 2nd hand, rather pay the extra £50-£100ish for the warranties etc.

I would only buy online, never in person as you have no protection.
"Protection" as in...? like against fraudulent sales? I'd say you have more protection in that regard as you can have them power it on / use it right in front of you and you can see/hear any defects right away usually. If you mean 'personal protection'...then you setup the meeting in the lobby of your local police department . I've heard several traders on Craigslist have done that.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
"Protection" as in...? like against fraudulent sales? I'd say you have more protection in that regard as you can have them power it on / use it right in front of you and you can see/hear any defects right away usually. If you mean 'personal protection'...then you setup the meeting in the lobby of your local police department . I've heard several traders on Craigslist have done that.
Sometimes there can be delayed issues eg. laptop was dropped before buying it(you didnt know it was dropped) and only a week later after you buy it the issues start to appear, or you over look something and dont notice a issue (happens to everyone).

Also, I meant: guarantees, warranties, Distance Selling Regulations, amazon/ebay/ PC world/currys/ scan etc that can help if you have conflicts or issues with the seller or manufacture, paper trail, sellers info and of course previous feedback on the seller and the items sold.