Would you buy it?

Roark

Lord of Bacon
So I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I'm currently saving up and piecemealing together my Z77/3570k build (CPU/HSF/MB/HDD/ODD left).

Today I saw a post on CL for a 775 build.
I don't really need another 775 rig, and I just got rid of one; however, does this deal look as amazing as I think it does?

Liquid cooled computer
The monitors are only 1680x1050, but current models are still ~$140ea.
And I can't tell what that IDE ribbon is going to, don't need another IDE HDD.

I pretty much would strip the cooler and HDD and replace them with spares I have laying around (PSU too probably) then flip it for roughly the same amount, with 1 monitor...

Sound legit?

Also, sent him an e-mail asking for specifics on the OS/CPU/HSF and got this response:
To be honest with you I'm unsure what brand water cooler it is it was a complete kit, the CPU I can't remember believe its intel duo core if I remember right and it had windows xp installed on it but was havin issues getti it to boot up... I had it built through ibuypower.com back when I was in the service and never really knew what I was gettin into and now I def don't have the time to play around with it and just wana get rid of it because it takes up space.

I wouldn't get it.
it may look like a good deal. but once you have it in your hands, you're going to be like "man, why'd i buy this?"

especially when it doesn't even boot into windows.

Booting into Windows is easily fixable. The problem is that 300 bucks can get you one or two pieces for your new rig. I wouldn't do it at all.

once you have it in your hands, you're going to be like "man, why'd i buy this?"
Yeah, I needed to read that.

I would have enjoyed tinkering for a day or two, but then I would have been waiting to unload it to get my capital back and been wondering why I'd bought it in the first place, especially since I already have 1080 and 1050 monitors.

PP Mguire said:
Booting into Windows is easily fixable. The problem is that 300 bucks can get you one or two pieces for your new rig.
I figured fixing the boot problem wouldn't be a problem, as an iBuy rig its an OEM OS so I could easily wipe and reinstall, or if it was hardware I'd probably be replacing it anyway...

But yeah, <$300 will get me my CPU and MB (next week, trip to DC/Microcenter!)

Back
Top Bottom