Would upgrading my ram from 1 gig to 2 make a large difference in this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That test shows me that 2GB RAM is all and all, not a bad idea! In all the tests, except the Quicktime one, 2x1024MB increased performance (or at least equalled) that of 2x512MB. Or am I misreading the test results, Flash?

Those benchmarks basically say that 2GB usually causes near-imperceptible gains and losses in performance, but it's still useful if you multitask a lot, and will be good in the future, or now if you like to max all of your settings.

magouster said:
That test shows me that 2GB RAM is all and all, not a bad idea! In all the tests, except the Quicktime one, 2x1024MB increased performance (or at least equalled) that of 2x512MB. Or am I misreading the test results, Flash?

look at the difference between the two, Its within 5% which is within the margin of insignificance/error!! AKA margin of advertising BS! The people trying to sell more hardware will always tell you you need more! Concider the fact it is double the price for a 5% increase that doesn't sound like its "all and all not a bad idea" to me! Did you conviniently skip over the 3dmark06 cpu test where it actually does better then 2x1024?

FlashDude said:
look at the difference between the two, Its within 5% which is within the margin of insignificance/error!! AKA margin of advertising BS! The people trying to sell more hardware will always tell you you need more! Concider the fact it is double the price for a 5% increase that doesn't sound like its "all and all not a bad idea" to me! Did you conviniently skip over the 3dmark06 cpu test where it actually does better then 2x1024?
And did you skip over the fact that any performance disadvantage it had was almost negligible? :p

Okay, my bad. It performs better in all but 2 tests. Yes, its only 5%. I'm not arguing, I myself have only 1.5Gig, not even running in dual channel mode. Better performance remains better performance, even if its only 5% better! Or am I misunderstanding the meaning of the word "better"? :D

"Better" in a very technical sense, yes. But not "better" in the sense that there will be any noticable increase or decrease in performance.
EDIT: F.E.A.R. did gain 5-10 FPS in some places with 2GB, though. It can be helpful if you like to max settings.

It seems that it won't help or hurt your performance in any noticable way. F.E.A.R. saw some decent gains when maxed out, and other games ran a tiny amount faster or slower than with only 1GB. So no, it won't really hurt, but it probably won't help that much.

Orayn said:
It seems that it won't help or hurt your performance in any noticable way. F.E.A.R. saw some decent gains when maxed out, and other games ran a tiny amount faster or slower than with only 1GB. So no, it won't really hurt, but it probably won't help that much.

Agreed, but for sure don't get 4x512mb it is a far amount slower!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom