Would an SSD be useful ? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Send a message via MSN to Oreo
Default Re: Would an SSD be useful ?

Yeh i just spent 15 or 20 minutes enabling AHCI and checking TRIM was enabled before i get the drive.

After some research i have found some things people reccomend disabling, such as indexing and defragging. But i cant figure out how to do it for just the SSD ? I don't want to disable indexing and defragging on my other HDD's.

I will get around to reinstalling Windows 7 eventually but it's just such effort, i cant even think of the proper way to do it. I haven't got the retail disk, as i downloaded Windows 7 Pro Update as a student offer from M$. And even if i somehow remember where i downloaded it from, i'm not sure it will let me because of me not having vista (i heard you had to give a Vista key on re installation ?) and all that changed hardware business.

I really don't format/reinstall my OS often at all. So whats the best way to go about it do you reckon ? I'm tempted to just format all my hard drives because i have stuff everywhere and its getting annoying, but then i have to spend days reacquiring everything

Old 09-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Okay I've figured out a way to go the best route. I will reinstall Windows 7, and reformat all my hard drives. I've copied some photo's, and about 10gb of the main downloads i will need to my dads computer. Fortunately also found the folder where i downloaded my Windows 7 upgrade too, so burning that to disk now. And hopefully it will let me install alright.. we'll see.

It should be too much hassle to reinstall stuff, the 2 games i play most atm are on disk and all my other apps that i havn't put on dads PC are <100mb. So as long as windows 7 doesn't moan at me installing i should be good.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Techie

sounds like your ready, not putting your OS on the SSD would make it a waste of money in my eyes
Old 09-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Well i have hit my first problem. I burn the windows 7 files to disk, try to launch from deskptop and get an error saying it cant find "install.wim" even though its there and its 2gb in size -.- So i restart my pc and change boot order priority to CD, nope, just loads straight back to windows. Great.

Someone recommended deleting the unpacked windows 7 folder and running the Windows 7 unpacker again (the download comes as 2 compressed files that are unpacked), so im trying that.

edit:

This is one of them rare instances where the first thing you tried, works So i launched the the setup just to try it out, chose advanced install, and chose where i wanted to install it. I never saw the option to format all disks, where is it ? (like i said, im not doing it now, just checking it)
Old 09-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanmx View Post
Well i have hit my first problem. I burn the windows 7 files to disk, try to launch from deskptop and get an error saying it cant find "install.wim" even though its there and its 2gb in size -.- So i restart my pc and change boot order priority to CD, nope, just loads straight back to windows. Great.

Someone recommended deleting the unpacked windows 7 folder and running the Windows 7 unpacker again (the download comes as 2 compressed files that are unpacked), so im trying that.

edit:

This is one of them rare instances where the first thing you tried, works So i launched the the setup just to try it out, chose advanced install, and chose where i wanted to install it. I never saw the option to format all disks, where is it ? (like i said, im not doing it now, just checking it)
On the "Where do you want to install Windows?" page you see after selecting a Custom installation you should see "Drive options(advanced)". Clicking on that will bring up formatting and partitioning options.

As far as disabling stuff on the SSD Windows 7 should take care of that automatically.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Yeh, just found that now.

About to make a new DVD copy with the working windows 7 files, but in pure irony my old school HDD's are being SO **** SLOW for some reason they are refusing to copy at anything more than 600kbps to the area to burn a disc, yet the previous disc it was going along nicely at 40mb/s. I could smash my PC sometimes. Although it is more than likely Windows being stupid and not the fault of the hard drives.

I have to remember to reduce my paging file to like 200mb on my SSD etc, as i heard it makes a difference for whatever reason on SSD's. I'm assuming in total windows will use about 20gb of the drive, should leave me enough spare to do what i want.

edit:

Oh yeh, i read somewhere when reinstalling the upgrade version oh Windows 7 your supposed to leave the CD KEY field blank and enter it after install, anyone know if theres any truth to this ? I'm just worried about screwing up this brand new PC reinstall and revamp, i don't do it often.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Eurgh. Having trouble making this Win 7 DVD bootable. Hopefully some google skills will resolve the issue.