would like more information on APUs

hamlet

Baseband Member
I have been watching videos about AMD's APUs to find out information. But there are still questions i have that they do not cover. The APUs (accelerated processing unit) says to do the job of the CPU and GPU on one chip. My question is, Does the APU work along side the CPU and GPU on a motherboard to further inhance the performance, or does it actually take the place of both?

An APU is simply a processor that combines the CPU and GPU into a single chip. So it is actually taking the place of both.

I have been watching videos about AMD's APUs to find out information. But there are still questions i have that they do not cover. The APUs (accelerated processing unit) says to do the job of the CPU and GPU on one chip. My question is, Does the APU work along side the CPU and GPU on a motherboard to further inhance the performance, or does it actually take the place of both?

the apu is integrated graphics within the cpu. there is no need for a gpu with an apu with a supported motherboard. of course, the graphics performance is not as good as you would see from a modern discrete graphics card.

Aside from the answers already presented I'll put this in. An APU is a fancy word for a CPU with a slightly better IGP than usual. Take a low end AMD quad, and put a very low end AMD GPU in the same package and you have an APU.

Back
Top Bottom