is it worth to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingdong-man

Baseband Member
i have a ACER laptop TravelMate 290, it's RAM is still DDR1 256mb. i've seen my friend whose got the same laptop as me, buy another Ram DDR1 1gb, and yes it's faster. but so far as i know the DDR1 can't be used in the DDR2 m.board due to different socket. but my laptop is now running so slow, is it worth to upgrade to 1gb ram ddr1, or just move to DDR2, which means i've to buy the new one? ($$$)..

thnx for suggestion...

laptop memory is diffirent from desktop memory, unless your talking about two laptops in which case you still cannot put ddr2 ram into a ddr1 mobo, also what do you do with your laptop? Gaming, Surfing, video editing, watching movies? upgrading depends on what yo o and what you will be using your laptop in the future

like the fella above me said, it depends on what you're doing. if you plan on sticking with the laptop for a while and doing any new things with it, i.e. gaming, editing etc etc you can definitely upgrade the ram a bit.

i do photo editing and programming... my dream to play even CoD 2 game never come true... so you know how sucks it is that can't even play that game... but the thing is, DDR 1 is now more expensive than DDR2, b'cause no more manufacturing of that product,... but i do understand if i move to DDR 2, i must invest at least buy a new laptop...

one more question, does the ratio between harddisk capacity with RAM affect so much to the performance, because the default harddisk for this laptop is only 40GB, but since it crashed, i change it double (80GB) with the same capacity of RAM...is it possible that the slow performance was caused from here???

no hd size:ram size has nothing to do with performance, but since you say you upgraded your hd, you may have gotten aslower one or one with less cache, ehich could be slowing you down, also don't forget to defrag

Well are you hard up for cash at this point? if so I would put in another stick of RAM maybe 512. What speed can your mobo handle? If you have a significant amount of cash avaliable I'd go for another computer.
Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Satellite P105-S2036 NoteBook Intel Core Duo T2050(1.60GHz) 17.0" Wide XGA+ 1GB DDR2 533 80GB 5400rpm DVD/CD-RW Combo Intel GMA950 - Retail

Upgrading the HDD would only speed up the computer (^^remember to defrag^^) depending on the speed and cache of the upgrade, like TheEnd said, but I doubt it's slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom