Workstation final parts check. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2006, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to klevenskiy
Default Workstation final parts check.

Hello. I have been posting questions about my workstation build here a while ago so I don't think anybody recalls a crazy building a dual CPU workstation, but here I am with my final parts list. I just want to make sure with you that all of these are compatible.

2 AMD Duel-core CPUs:

Supermicro server MoBo:

2Gb of RAM (will upgrade when needed - MoBo supports 16!!!):

Ram Heat Sinks :P :

7950 GX2 video card:

Audigy 4 Pro Sound Card:

700W Power Supply:

200GB Hard Drive:

250GB Archive Hard Drive:

2 All-format disk readers/burners:

Memory Card Reader:

Tempreture controller:

19" LCD monitor:

And the keyboad:

Will by mouse and speakers later.

So any comments/suggestions?

Old 08-01-2006, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to MrZucchiniHead

what exactly will you be using this for, you might be able to get a better, cheaper set up.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

??? You are buying a server and putting in it that crazy video card??? this wont be a very good gaming pc... why would you throw such a v. card into it?!

if you plan to build a server computer, do it properly! if you plan to do a computer gaming and want it to be extremly costy, do it properly aswell!

But first clarify what are you trying to build because your part list just makes absolutly no sense [to me, at least].

Old 08-01-2006, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

The two processors will probably slow you down when gaming (Not sure about this, but it seems feasible)
Old 08-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, I am a game developer. And my job involvs compiling video game levels which can take days to weeks on my current PC - time I could be using for actual work. To my calculations these 2 duel cores will decrease my compilation time 8-fold which sounds very good to me and that's why I am going for it. Additionally I very often find myself using a number of different applications simaltaneously as my work required creating separate models in one program, designing textures in another, typing code in yet others, and putting all together in a 3D editor.

However, aside from acutally creating the games, I need to test them. With newer engines and larger, more complicated worlds fps often become a problem for me. So I am also trying to make my machine a higher end gaming PC that will showcase how advanced gamers in the near future will be experiencing my products.

So what exact problems will I be running into with this set up?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

if u doing 3d modeling why not get a video card that was made for that. like a ATI Fire GL or Nvidia Quadro?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Well, I can't really help you then, I've never designed computers before for pc game engineers.... but what you've built here won't do so good [at least to my understanding] because that mobo is not very good for gaming, its more like... servers mobo, and those two cores works good for multitasking but for gaming they will work poorly.......

Sorry, i'm totaly dumb in that area of computing though....... I wouldn't know how a Servers motherboard will work for game designing and gaming.

And I don't think there are many others here that does :S Perhaps very few if at all... wish you luck though.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

You should look into getting a workstation video card for the pc you're building right now, then another with something like a conroe e6600 or x2 4400+ and a x1900xtx/7900gtx or even a 7950gx2 for testing such game.
Originally Posted by Sylus View Post
Could have been worse, you could have been raped by a clown.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well I am not really able to get 2 whole PCs at the moment. But what about those 3D modeling video cards somebody suggested? What advantages do they have for 3D work over let's say the 7950gx2?

Also I am not really clear as to how can a server MoBo and my processors slow down my gaming. Its a SLI MoBo and the processors don't seem too slow either. Am I overlooking something?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Future ex-member
Send a message via MSN to lancec2c30

opterons are the only processers that you can run two with arent they?

well what if you got like the fastest single processer out? I think it would be no more expensive then two of those. and should do just as good as those ytou currently are thinking of.

Then I would go with that video card.

I would just go find like the fastest conroe and liquid cool then OC. It should work well with what you are doiong.

XP Pro | Vista Home Premium | Linux Ubuntu 7.10
s939 X2 3800 Toledo @ 2.6ghz | evga 7900gs | 320gig + 80gig wd | 1gb Ram | Abit KN8 SLI
3.1ghz achieved. :cool:
70K F@H member..............still waiting for the "iRACK"

Norcent will not be forgotten.

Closed Thread