Wired or Wireless??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indobos

In Runtime
Okay SO I am getting tired of having my PC on the floor and its time to move it to a permanent location. I am wondering are their any good wireless cards out there? What would you do internal wireless card or wireless usb? Or do I stay wired and just move all my junk to the same location? If you do say wireless. who would be the better choice? All and any help appreciated.

I'd stay wired if possible. Have you got a wireless router?

Wireless cards are hit and miss.

Wired is the best IMO. At my house we have both. but I still run a 50ft cat6 cable from my living room to my room so I don't have to get mad at my wireless for not working 20% of the time.

Deffo wired. I have just had to remove a wireless network card as it was making my PC freeze (don't know why??), and even when it was working the connection was on and off.

Well I use both wired and wireless networks at home. I don't have major problems with my wireless network. The only thing I noticed is that when I use torrents or emule on my laptop which is connected by wireless sometimes the internet goes down, it seems that my router doesn't support many connections when using wireless. that's why I use torrents in my desktop which is connected to the router by ethernet.
Basically it depends on how you use your network. For instance if you like gaming online a wired network is better because wireless networks introduces more lag. If you use it to transfer large files from one computer to another all the time wired networks are also better because you can achieve a higher throughput. If you use your network to surf on the internet and to transfer files from one computer to another once in a while you should not have many problems with a wireless network.
Of course you have to consider the distances between the router and your computer and the walls between them.

both my PC's are wireless enabled and I have the linksys router for it. It will go down every now and then after long sessions or big file transfers. I only use wireless with a laptop sitting in front of the tv and browsing internet at the same time. Otherwise wired ftw.

I agree on the wired as well... I also have both and my lappy doesn't like the network sometimes... CAT5E is pretty cheap... you can find kits with 500/1000ft plus the crimping tool and connectors from anywhere between 30-100.00 or you can do what I did and wire the whole house with cat5 and have a central location in the closet for the modems, routers, etc... and all I do now is plug a cat5 into the wall. (like a phone jack type of thing... ) that extreme is not very cost effective, but for people who own a house, it's a much better investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom