windows wont boot from cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

badkitty

In Runtime
so my friend brought his PC over...windows blue screened and resets its self before it gets half way loaded.

This is setup

Asus Crosshair MB
AMD 64 Dual Core 4600+
2GB Corsair Pro Series DDR2 PC6400
Geforce 7950GT
(2) WD 250gb drives
(1) WD 80gb drive

This MB only has one IDE connector. So he bought a PCI IDE card. I have the 80gb and the 2 dvd's plugged into this card. All are recognized in bios. The 2 250gb's are plugged into onboard IDE connector. All drives are recognized as they should be. Only problem is when i try booting from my windows disc, it gives me this

"Boot disc failure-insert system disc" i have 2 copies of windows XP pro, thta i've used alot and discs are NOT scratched,as i can load it up on my system. no matter how i connect drives, either master/slave or CS..or alone every combo i can think of...i cannot get windows to boot from disc. Also there is no 3.5 floppy in this tower.

Anyone have any ideas? i've spent 4hours on it. im spent for the night.

Go into bios and change the first boot device to be the CD rom, that should to it, it's probably trying to boot off the hard drive and can't. Also if that doesn't work, then try just putting the first one as CD rom and don't list any others, that way it doesn't just go through the checklist and boot from the hdd like normal.

sorry i forgot to mention that...that was first thing i ALWAYS do when booting new windows. no matter what i do that i've done a hundred times. I even put my dvd-rw that i KNOW WORKS...into the tower and still doesnt boot..just in case it was ther dvd-roms.

I listed only cdrom....for some reason too in that list is the dvd-rw by name...instead of cd-rom , never seen that before, but i put it on that as well. unplugged all drives except one and cdrom..i cannot get anything to happen.

are you using your xp disk or his? depending on his version of xp it can be difficult with the service pack to reinstall or load windows from the disk depending on how old it is. i could be wrong but i have found this to be an issue in the past.

i have windows XP PRO SP1...his is XP Home...dont know how old the home disc is. but i've NEVER had a problem loading my windows disc only any computer. thats why this is stumping me.

allmost sounds like aproblem ive delt with once, the log files to load windows were erased and the computer couldnt boot. i had to go to a site, download the files that were missing and dump them in the correct folder and it worked...but i dont think i could ever remember how it happened. im assuming a reformat is not exactly wanted either.

i've tried 3..dvd-rw..cd-rw and a normal dvd-rom..all work in my pc and read disc on boot...but they dont work in his.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom