Windows says 1.5GB, CPU-Z says 2GB - whats the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkture

Solid State Member
I have an Asus A8V-E Deluxe board
Previously I had 2x512 KVR400x64C3A/512 DIMMs
I now bought 2 more of the exact same model number and installed them.

My bootup screen tells me I have roughly 1.5 gigs of ram, windows tells me the same - yet when I open up CPU-Z it tells my all my slots are full, each with the exact same type of DIMM, running in dual channel (and therefore 2GB of memory)

I posted here earlier and this upgrade was suggested.

Is this board not compatible running 2GB in dual channel?

Any ideas?

edit::
CPU-Z also tells me I've been dropped down to 166MHz
Another interesting thing is that PC Wizard says a total of 2048MB is installed, however when it lists the slots it tells me
A0: 512 (Double Bank)
A1: 256 (Single Bank)
A2: 512 (Double Bank)
A3: 256 (Single Bank)

edit2::
One final thing, of the two new DIMMs that I installed, one of them is single sided (my old 2 DIMMs and the other new one are Double Sided). Could this be the issue? It is the exact same model number etc.

You say you had 2x512MB and then you bought another 2x512MB?? ("2 more of the exact same model") Or is it 2x512MB originally and 2x256MB added?

Also, it's likely this "problem" (if there is truly one) is due to overpopulating your RAM slots. Clear up the above issue and I'll see what I can find.

I bought 2 more of the exact same DIMM (512MB), atleast spec-wise. Physically the 2 new DIMMs look different as one is SingleSided and the other DoubleSided as mentioned above, although I'm not sure if that could be an issue (what do you think?).

The report from PC Wizard just seemed strange (as it listed 2x 256) but I think that could be a software error and I just included it in case someone was familiar with the way they report things.

As for overpopulating my ram slots, A8V-E Deluxe is supposed to support a total of 4GB @ 1GB / slot.

Edit:: I just spoke to the retailer which sold me the RAM and they are going to replace one of the new sticks so they both come from the same batch.

Could that solve the problem?

fade2black2004 said:
what do you mean one is double sided and the other is single?

One DIMM has chips on a single side of it, the other has chips covering both sides.

Edit:: I just spoke to the retailer which sold me the RAM and they are going to replace one of the new sticks so they both come from the same batch.

Could that solve the problem?

it might do the trick :D. as for solving your memory downclocking itself to 166MHz (DDR333), look around in BIOS for an option to change the "Command Rate" to 2T. all K8 (Athlon 64) processors do that with more than 3 sticks of double sided memory.

nitestick said:
it might do the trick :D. as for solving your memory downclocking itself to 166MHz (DDR333), look around in BIOS for an option to change the "Command Rate" to 2T. all K8 (Athlon 64) processors do that with more than 3 sticks of double sided memory.

Ok, good to know there is still hope hehe, now I just have to wait till the new stick arrives. As for the command rate, its been at 2T the whole time, I was able to manually move to 200MHz though - which worked out.

Although I'm just going to leave the new ram out for now and wait untill the replacement arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom