Windows not seeing my HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blufox219

Solid State Member
Hey i just got my whole system together and now i have a problem. I installed a seagate 250 gb hard drive but for some reason XP ony see's like 127 GB. what gives? I went into my bios and the motherboard saw it was the right HDD, how do i fix this?

Make sure the LBA mode is enabled for large capacity support. A full description of Logical Block Addressing can be looked over at Logical Block Addressing to understand what that is for.

Often you might by chance have looked closed at the total amount of drive detected by the installer and simply pressed the install button while the partition size was smaller then the total amount shown. A 3rd party drive tool known as the Gnome Partition Editor has a live for cd version called GParted live for cd available free of charge if you have a cd writer or dvd burner available to use.

The documentation for GParted with screen shots can be easily followed at GPARTED DOCUMENTATION - GENERALITIES

Personally I use GParted here first to create any new primaries and then see them formatted by the Windows installer for the version going on. The 0.3.3.0 and 0.3.2.0 releases half way down the page at SourceForge.net: Files are the platform independent versions for being able to create, delete, and of course what you need there resize partitions.

If the LBA mode is off for some reason that will stall at the 137gb barrier due to the bios limitation there. Most boards however simply see the entire drive available to XP. You likely have an XP/SP1 disk there not one seeing SP2 included and need to download SP2 separately.

That never saw any problems when using an older SP1 disk for a 250gb ide model drive here. Is that an ide or sata there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom