Windows 7 on SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustBecause

Solid State Member
I am trying to find some info about installing Windows 7 on a SSD. I have found tons of articles about how to optimize an SSD to make it faster but nothing about the actual installation. Is it the same as installing on a hard drive? I'm assuming you follow the same steps like making the CD drive the primary boot device, booting the disc, then select the SSD as the install location, and finally switching the SSD to the primary boot device?

And will the SSD automatically show up as a drive where I can install windows or will windows not see the SSD at first?

And finally, once it is installed I can just boot my computer like normal and change the SSD settings in windows?

Thank you!

Since you are using windows 7 the installation processes is just like any other hard drive. Just be sure that you have ACHI enabled in BIOS before you start the installation.

Sweet, thanks guys. I thought I remember hearing that it was hard to install an OS to a SSD, although maybe that was Windows Vista....

One last thing, I have seen a couple places mention that SSD performance degrades after time. Would I be able to prevent that by not using the drive at all? I mean other than installing Windows of course, but I don't plan on putting any applications, games, or files on it. To my extremely limited knowledge it seems that if anything were going to affect the performance of the drive it would be writing/erasing data repeatedly.

When trying to view the SSD Tweak Guide, I get
Digerati, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom