Windows 7 on SSD - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Windows 7 on SSD

I am trying to find some info about installing Windows 7 on a SSD. I have found tons of articles about how to optimize an SSD to make it faster but nothing about the actual installation. Is it the same as installing on a hard drive? I'm assuming you follow the same steps like making the CD drive the primary boot device, booting the disc, then select the SSD as the install location, and finally switching the SSD to the primary boot device?

And will the SSD automatically show up as a drive where I can install windows or will windows not see the SSD at first?

And finally, once it is installed I can just boot my computer like normal and change the SSD settings in windows?

Thank you!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: Windows 7 on SSD

Windows 7 will install to a SSD just like it does to a standard HDD.

Make sure the SSD is hooked to the 1st SATA port, some mobo's call this port 0 and some call it port 1.

Make sure you have AHCI enabled in the bios before you install Windows.

Once you have Windows Installed go through the SSD Tweak Guide

SSD Tweak Guide

Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Since you are using windows 7 the installation processes is just like any other hard drive. Just be sure that you have ACHI enabled in BIOS before you start the installation.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 01-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Sweet, thanks guys. I thought I remember hearing that it was hard to install an OS to a SSD, although maybe that was Windows Vista....

One last thing, I have seen a couple places mention that SSD performance degrades after time. Would I be able to prevent that by not using the drive at all? I mean other than installing Windows of course, but I don't plan on putting any applications, games, or files on it. To my extremely limited knowledge it seems that if anything were going to affect the performance of the drive it would be writing/erasing data repeatedly.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

When trying to view the SSD Tweak Guide, I get
Digerati, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Closed Thread