Win XP x64 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

meefle

In Runtime
I'm lookin into buying Windows XP Pro x64-Edition but i know it used to have problems. Did they fix most (or all.... unlikely) of the problems. I'm upgrading soon and i'm either gettin media center or pro x64.

just in case you want to kno heres the parts i'm gettin for my upgrade

AMD Opteron 144
DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D
HIS Radeon X1800GTO (well dont kno wut company to get it from yet but i'm def gettin a X1800GTO)

nitestick said:
there are problems with it. there are some software packages you may not be able to run as there are problems with its 32 bit emulation software. 64 bit drivers are a major problem and you will have to get 64 bit versions of most software
Hardware support is the biggest issue but it's fairly easy today to find proper drivers if you just built your PC but things are still not desirable with that.

As for 32 bit software it will run virtually ALL 32 bit programs unless they have 16 bit installers or components with a FEW expections. You don't have to get 64 bit software for software but it is desirable.

Personal Experiance

well the reason i dont have it is because of cost, as well as my drivers for my wireless card (D-link has "no intensions" of making 64 bit drivers for my card....)

but also, my ZoneAlarm doesnt work with it!! i want to marry ZA, lol

I wouldn't get Media Center. My friend has Media Center, and it's retarded (imho). Like almost every program you run, it is bugging you about security and allowing the program to run, yada yada. There is probally a setting somewhere to turn that off, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Ok so i'm narrowin it down to x64 and xp pro. I looked for 64-bit drivers for all my hardware and i can find them all cept my wireless card (D-Link DWL-520+). so if i install the 32-bit wireless card driver will it still work?

CrazeD said:
I wouldn't get Media Center. My friend has Media Center, and it's retarded (imho). Like almost every program you run, it is bugging you about security and allowing the program to run, yada yada. There is probally a setting somewhere to turn that off, but I'll be damned if I can find it.
Man you are going to hate Windows Vista, Linux, and UNIX then :rolleyes: .

Oddly enough I don't remember you can try to install a 32 bit driver but I am almost positive that it will not work. There may be other drivers out there for it that are not official I had to do that for my Sound Blaster for Linux and my Yamaha AC97 Audio for Windows 2003 at one time. Driver guide may be able to help you check there.

Ok thanks i think i might just go with XP Pro (not x64-bit). I've used Pro in the past and i loved it and had no problems with it. Thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom