Will triple channel DDR3 work well in a Gigabyte 890XA UD3 MB with a 1055T ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
I found a fairly good deal at Mwave for some DDR 3 RAM 1333Mhz. After using a $5 coupon, I can purchase these 2GB sticks of RAM for only $22.97 per stick.

I am not sure if Triple Channel RAM will work in my various motherboards. I have an AMD set up using this: Gigabyte 890XA UD3 MB with a 1055T. I think this is dual channel RAM, but not sure.

I also have the i5-750 set up listed in my signature.

Will this Avexir AVD3U13330902G-1S Standard Series 2GB (2GB x1) 240-pin PC3-10700 DDR3 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 DIMM desktop memory module work well in either of these systems?

Thanks,

Soar

PS Oh, I found the deal here: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearc...3U13330902G-1S Standard Series 2GB (2GB x1) 2

Right now Intel is the only one using triple channel, but only with 1336 socket. AMD doesn't use triple channel, only dual channel.
Both of your systems use dual channel.

Right now Intel is the only one using triple channel, but only with 1336 socket. AMD doesn't use triple channel, only dual channel.
Both of your systems use dual channel.

Farinha, thanks for the reply. Yes, I realize only the 1336 socket makes the most of the triple channel RAM. My question is will the triple channel RAM work in either of the listed MB's and if so, what would be the difference [i.e. only will utilize single channel, won't work at all, won't notice a major difference, etc.]

Thanks,

Soar

EDIT: Yes, triple channel RAM will work in a dual channel MB, and simply revert to dual channel if I use two sticks. If I use 3 sticks, then two sticks will revert to dual channel, and the 3rd stick will go to single channel.

I found the answer here: http://www.overclock.net/intel-memory/670603-will-3x2gb-triple-channel-ram-kit.html

physically yes it would work. you could install a triple channel kit (assuming it's a 3x2gb kit) and your system would recognize 6gigs of ram, not in triple channel though, they would run in single channel.

if that ram that you linked is the ram you're talking about, that isn't triple channel ram, it's a 2x1gb kit of dual channel ram.

Memory can only work in "One" mode at a at. It's either dual channel or single channel, you can't have both.

Well, I think you're mixing things. The number o RAM sticks is different than number of channels. And like slay said, if you use three sticks on a dual channel configuration then it will work on single channel. To the double channel can work you must use sticks in multiple of two. Multiples of three for triple channel.

Well, I think you're mixing things. The number o RAM sticks is different than number of channels. And like slay said, if you use three sticks on a dual channel configuration then it will work on single channel. To the double channel can work you must use sticks in multiple of two. Multiples of three for triple channel.

farinha, Yes. That sure makes sense. I'll need to use the sticks in multiples of 2.

Thanks,

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom