Will this HS fit this MB? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Will this HS fit this MB?

So I am going to start ordering parts for my build but I was wondering if this Heat Sink will fit this MB....

HS: Prolimatech Megahalems Intel CPU Heatsink (LGA 775 / 1366) (AM2** / AM2+** / AM3**) - FrozenCPU.com

MB: Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

The Megahalem looks huge so I don't know if it will clear the bridge heat-sink... I guess I could always go with another HS but I really want to try this beast out!!! What fan would yall recommend to put on this beast?

I guess I could always go with a different MB too......?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Will this HS fit this MB?

From what I can see the two products look compatible, just make sure your case is big enough to fit the hs. That sticks up quite a ways.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 07-20-2009, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Pretty sure it will, a lot of people on XS use that...though I think it's way too expensive for the performance you get out of it.

It is pretty looking though.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 07-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaricloud View Post
Pretty sure it will, a lot of people on XS use that...though I think it's way too expensive for the performance you get out of it.

It is pretty looking though.
What would you recommend as far as a HS master Hikari? I have looked at the thors hammer, core contact freezer, True 120, Megahalem...etc.... it seems the True 120/Megahalem/Thors Hammer are the best out there.... but I don't care how much it costs as long as it does a great job of air cooling..... any thoughts?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

The TRUE is my favorite, I would also look at the Dark Knight. I can't compare them with the others, but I've heard lots of good things about the core contact.

Here's the Dark Knight.

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttzu View Post
What would you recommend as far as a HS master Hikari? I have looked at the thors hammer, core contact freezer, True 120, Megahalem...etc.... it seems the True 120/Megahalem/Thors Hammer are the best out there.... but I don't care how much it costs as long as it does a great job of air cooling..... any thoughts?
well, if you dont care how much it costs then mabye you can go with a water cooling setup.

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbar71 View Post
well, if you dont care how much it costs then mabye you can go with a water cooling setup.
I meant I don't mind how much the Heatsink costs with those choices... right now with my build I am right at $2,300 ish which is with the Megahalem so I am right around where I want to be.... I think I'll go Water cooling in the future but for now I'm sticking to Air...
Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
AKA ComatoseClown

Send a message via AIM to H4x3r Send a message via MSN to H4x3r

If i were you i'd get the True Copper, i've seen some really super things done with it. Quite impressive for air cooling and even rivals that of water cooling to an extent....haha just ask Slaymate his opinion ^_^
Old 07-21-2009, 08:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

HeHeHe, True Copper FTW

Actually, I thought about getting a Prolimatech. And yes, it will fit on the EVGA E758-A1. I've heard good things about it so post your results if you buy one
Old 07-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
HeHeHe, True Copper FTW

Actually, I thought about getting a Prolimatech. And yes, it will fit on the EVGA E758-A1. I've heard good things about it so post your results if you buy one
Awesome thanks man! Question for you slaymate... Does the HS fit with the Fan facing the back of the case or does it have to be mounted so the fan faces the Video Card? It just looks so huge and I was worried about clearance on the Bridge Heat-sink...

I'm going with this HS but what fan would you all recommend for it? I'm assuming to go with a push setup blowing the air towards the back of the case (if it will fit like that)... thanks in advance!

Closed Thread