Will This Build Work/Any Suggestions

slmnwise

Beta member
I am planning on building a computer next month. I have very little knowledge of hardware (besides the manuals on building that I've read), but have programmed for a while. I went on NewEgg and picked out some parts, based on my needs. I am a very casual gamer (shockwave games and maybe a little TF2 every once in a while) so that is not a big priority.

The parts I picked out:

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Motherboard: BIOSTAR TA75M FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD

Video Card: PowerColor Go! Green AX6450 2GBK3-SH Radeon HD 6450 2GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

RAM: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9K2/8G

Case+PSU: LOGISYS Computer CS206BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer SOHO Case 480W Power Supply

I'm wondering if I need anything else. I already have an optical drive, mouse, monitor, speakers. I think I may be missing internet connectivity. The internet at my house is a NETGEAR router, and you just put a little USB thing into the computer and it connects. Is this compatible? Is there anything I bought that is a ripoff? I will install Ubuntu on it as soon as it is done, will there be any problems with that?

IMPORTANT: MY BUDGET IS $450

That processor and motherboard are incompatible with each other. You need an AM3+ board to use that CPU. If you really don't do anything that requires 6 cores I would say just got the FX 4100, or even better still drop that CPU and grab an APU that is compatible with that board. You can save a few bucks there because you need a PSU. On to that, I would chose a case without a PSU and buy a good brand PSU, as those cheapos can take out your whole system when they decide to randomly fail.

Your USB wireless dongle will work with any computer practically depending on drivers and OS.

Also, since you game and want to use Linux I would go for an Nvidia based GPU as one of our members found out they make better drivers for Linux based "gaming" machines.

That processor and motherboard are incompatible with each other. You need an AM3+ board to use that CPU. If you really don't do anything that requires 6 cores I would say just got the FX 4100, or even better still drop that CPU and grab an APU that is compatible with that board. You can save a few bucks there because you need a PSU. On to that, I would chose a case without a PSU and buy a good brand PSU, as those cheapos can take out your whole system when they decide to randomly fail.

Your USB wireless dongle will work with any computer practically depending on drivers and OS.

Also, since you game and want to use Linux I would go for an Nvidia based GPU as one of our members found out they make better drivers for Linux based "gaming" machines.
How many watts will I need on that PSU?

Back
Top Bottom