Will $500 put my PC back in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King$nake

In Runtime
I have always been bummed that I built the high-end PC that I did (early this year) and Flight Simulator X has always run like crap, even after the "performance-enhancing" patch that was released. Plus system hogging games have come out like Crysis, and I think I would only really be able to enjoy the new games if I am getting smooth FPS on full graphics.

I have a few extra bucks sitting around and was thinking about going to a Quad-Core and some more Ram and possibly a new GPU.

My specs are listed in my sig. Would $500 "revatilize" my PC? If so, what should I spend my money on? What parts would make the most dramatic difference. Is it even possible to run FSX smoothly with only $500 of Upgrades, or would you guys recommend I wait another 6 months?

Thanks dudes
-Joe

Possibly sell your existing video card for more cash as well? :nerd:
BTW: Your pc seems pretty decent already....

Well, ya if I upgrade everything I would sell my CPU (If its worth anything) and the 8800GTS. How much money can I get for these 2 parts?

FSX is pretty well optinmised with the graphics but the AI traffic is awfully crap. Turn off all AI traffic and look at what performance increase you get.

Now turn on 50% airline and 50% general air traffic. That gives you a fairly immersive feeling now that theres life other then yours. Dont bother with car traffic but put the others on low if you must.

Your comp seems good already 2GB of ram is all yo need dont need more then that.Maybe the only thing you need to upgrade is your processor although it seems fairly okay already.But try sell of your 8800 and get the new GTS G92 or the GT i think you can still get a fair amount on ebay with minimal lost try get a Q6600 and a new graphics card you should be fine after that.

Your comp seems good already 2GB of ram is all yo need dont need more then that.Maybe the only thing you need to upgrade is your processor although it seems fairly okay already.But try sell of your 8800 and get the new GTS G92 or the GT i think you can still get a fair amount on ebay with minimal lost try get a Q6600 and a new graphics card you should be fine after that.

Thanks for the reply man. Do you think I will see dramatic improvements with those changes?

Yes you should my own computer right now i can run crysis on all high settings with AA off with no spikes and a fps rate of 25-45.

your comp is pretty good already

maybe a tad off topic but you are aware that wireless keyboards and mice suck because they lag sometimes and you lose control of them for like hafl a second? I used to die so much in FPS's because of that...

Hopefully you will see a dramatic improvment with the Q6600 and a diffrent card... but idk, gl.

maybe a tad off topic but you are aware that wireless keyboards and mice suck because they lag sometimes and you lose control of them for like hafl a second? I used to die so much in FPS's because of that...

I don't know what mouse you were using but my wireless MX-Revolution only lagged once so far and that was because interference was interupting the signal. I have since moved the pc and plugged the USB reciever into my keyboard instead of the back of the comp and it never lags. Ever. I've been lag-free for like two months lol.

You just had either a bad mouse or the signal wasn't getting to the reciever, or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom