Widescreen dilema

Status
Not open for further replies.

odysseus

In Runtime
Alright i got my build almost all figured out for february of 2007 but one big thing still stands, widscreen or not....

I have favored it until i saw the benchmarks for fps the 7900GT running at 1600x1200 resolution in a F.E.A.R. test, the LCD that i am currently looking at is the ViewSonic VX2025wm which has a native resolution of 1680x1050..... I know i can run it on a lower resolution but it doesn't look that good at all......

If I'm going to splurge on the monitor and the video card i want it to look good! So Im kind of at a loss of what to do now .....because i want to be able to play Battlefield 2 (not F.E.A.R., i find it too creepy), World of Warcraft, UT 2007, etc. filling my LCD and maintaing a decent fps, preferably not below 35-40........

ViewSonic VX2025wm

cnet review

i don't think they'd go below 35-40 unless you plan on using full aa and af, otherwise your good to go on that resolution.. cuz i'm having the same dilemma... only i'm planning on sli.. haha

i have the viewsonic and i love it. it's a great monitor but im not much of a gamer so i dont know how well it will perform.

Does it not look good because of stretching? If so, you need to make sure your resolution is compatible with the ratio of your screen. I know fear, for instance, doesn't support widescreen and therefore you must add your own resolution in the shortcut. Games like Oblivion recognize widescreen and suggest it.

Tell me what resolution you are running at. I'm assume you are running one that makes it stretch across the screen due to it's incompatibility with your screen's ratio.

im just wondering if a 7900GT will produce a tolerable fps for todays demanding games and furture ones to come...........

Also I will be waiting long enough for the g80 to come out, will that be comparableto the 7900 GT in price and performance??

haha ya that is true.... and for the g80 question, i would expect it to stay around the same price as they always have, gt model 300, gtx model 450+ ... the cores are getting smaller and all that good stuff so it'll be cheaper to produce... so hopefully they stay around the same price...

Okay. First of all - Get a widescreen that does 1920x1200 if you're buying one for gaming or watching movies or... anything you want in HiDef!

Second, just for comparison - My 7800GT (OC-ed) runs my 24 widescreen at 1920x1200 without any problems in any game but oblivion. It experienced a BIT of lag in HL:Lost Coast with all the goodies turned on because of HDR but that was tolerable.

Now, I don't know how big that LCD is but from the model number im guessing 20-21 inches (idk - i hate Viewsonics), if it is, it won't be pushing 1900x1200. But if you're okay with that its great. Also, it better have at the absolute MOST 12ms wht-blk-wht response time if you don't want ghosting.

When I bought mine, I knew I was going to have to eventually get more graphics power for it, but that is why I have an SLI motherboard. The only reason to get SLI is for these widescreens, SLI kicks *** for high-res systems. So if you're okay with that, the one 7900gt should hold you for now, especially on the monitor you're looking at.

ok thanks man sounds good! but if i weren't to get a ViewSonic what would you suggest instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom