Why precautions at software company so casual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
At my last job when the network guys configured or modified servers I saw no precautions taken towards static electricity. I never saw a static arm band anywhere. When upgrading memory I was told to put in the sticks myself and never was warned to be careful. When I was there nothing ever went wrong.

When installing op systems or programs I often had to change optical drives (because so many were worn out or bad) and I had to plug them in and out of servers, and no one told me to take precautions.

The hardware room had a tile floor, but the rest of the office had carpet.

Right now I am assembling a computer and am being careful, and except for a few slip ups I always wear the static armband and touch the psu. I was wondering if anyone else has seen such carelessness towards static electricity on the job, and why this was the case?

The bands aren't going prevent damage in some cases. I just make sure that I'm grounded (large metal) well when touching the components since its much more effective than the band.

Maybe whatever surfaces they used did not conduct static electricity well at all? Not too sure but a professional company if it can be a problem I would expect to take precautions like that.

at mt school we never took those precautions. personally i don't see the worth in those arm bands, we just ground our severs to the case. haven't had a prob yet.

But the casualness at this place was just crazy. I've seen servers on the floor, unplugged and ungrounded, with people taking cpus out and putting them in. I've seen memory sticks stacked on shelves unwrapped. At the time I just got this feeling that computer circuitry must be pretty tough stuff..

After reading this forum, I am happily paranoid about static when putting together my first computer. I've read so many horror stories about wrecking mobos, etc. But looking back at my past job makes me think if you don't have a shaggy carpet you don't have to worry at all (not that I'm willing to test this theory just yet...)

well i stack ram un-protected. because it is that tough. back in the day it wasn't so true. and you could fry a whole 80286 motherboard if you weren't careful. but times change. if its that big of a deal save the electro static wrappers. for example with all of the ICs i use for different projects. i push them down into Styrofoam. works great to protect them from charges and keeps the pins straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom