Why is my setup so slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exidous

Beta member
First I will list everything that I have.

Asus Crossfire mobo
AMD AM2 4200+ Dual core
Dual EVGA 7900GT's
2Gb Corsair XM2 ram
36bg raptor for OS
Windows x64 (all updates)
Sound blaster X-fi
Roswill 600w modular PSU

By no means am I a layman to the computer world but I cannot for the life of me understand why my computer boggs down with just about everything I do. I cant scroll though my songs in WMP. Surfing is slow. my FPS in games is only marginally better than a friend running one 7800gt and a 3700 single core on windows x64. Normally I would think its a virus but I have had kaspersky for a little while and the computer was slow right away after I reformatted. BOIS has been updated and for some reason I regularily use over 1Gb of pagefile. startup seems to take forever like there are 60 processes going but only have 33 total. When it hangs I look at the cpu load and its rarely over 50% on either core.

Any ideas

hrm, try downloading the amd dual core patch on amd's website.. and i dunno, feels like a stupid question but did you install the drivers for the video cards

HAHA I meant the crosshair motherboard. I am using the forceware 91.47 version drivers and running both cards did make a difference on GRAW. A big one. Im sure that some of the games just dont support sli but my big problem is that things get pretty bogged down when I do more than one or two things at a time. Didnt have to problem with a 3700+ single core. asus sli deluxe and 2GB o cheap kingston ram. Is it possible than I need more than 2GB of to run a game like WOW and listen to music and surf the net :p Because I regularily use over 1GB of pagefile and the ram is running about 75% full.

I think I might know that the problem is. When I installed X64 the first time I had two hard drives connected. When I reinstalled I had only one. Is it possible that the pagefile is located on my C drive and slowing things down. I now have 4 drives connected and would like to move the pagefile to another hard drive but cant for the life of me remember when to do it.

I had exactly the same problem, It fixed it went i made a copy of my drive, i.e. all the documents and settings, not program files. Wiped the whole drive...and then re-installed most things. So now I've just got windows and program files booting off one and everything else of the other. It made my computer about x10 faster. I know you might think, well you've cleared up more disk space of course it's going to be faster. But I had a brand new 250gb seagate hdd and it still was slow as sh*t, so I decided that disk space was not an issue for me.

Just make a backup copy of your raptor and blow everything away, except for windows. See if that works, it did for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom