Why is Intel so popular

Status
Not open for further replies.
This forum is full of AMD fanboys so you won't get a strait answer here. AMD chips generally perform better in games, Intel chips dominate the corporate environment, about 90% of companys use intel, especially servers. The reason has something to do with the chips instruction set, but it gets pretty detailed from there so I'm not entirely sure. People blindly toting AMD are just as bad as people blindly toting intel products, people have to realise that if it wasnt for the fierce competition, cpus wouldnt be where they are today. I for one hope that AMD or Intel never "win".

Intel and AMD originally had a contract or something saying they would share any CPU information, so for many of the years Intel was making cpus, while AMD copied it and put it out cheaper since they didnt have to pay for research. That ended some time in the 90s though, which is where the CPUs really start to differ. In fact, didnt AMD chips use socket 7 at one point, the same socket as intel since they were essentially the same chip.

There is definitly something about the instruction set in the chips that makes more people use intel. Im pretty sure it has to do with compatability with older software, and easier tech support.

I think some of the programs only work on intel chips is why they are in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom