Why do gamers hate LCDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BandwidthHogg

Banned
If you go to any gaming forums accross the net, including this one, when somebody says they want an LCD, all you get is a bunch of LCD bashers going on and on about how LCDs suck and CRTs are so much better. They complain that LCDs have low response times, are blurry, aren't very bright, have washed out color, etc.

While all of these were completely true with older model LCDs, they aren't a problem with newer LCDs. I thought long and hard before I decided to get rid of my old CRT and move to an LCD. Its picture clarity, brightness, and color vibrance blows away my old CRT. I viewed them side-by-side to compare, and the CRT's image seemed so dull after looking at the LCD. Plus, my eyes just felt so relieved when I got my LCD. My CRT was causing me so much eye-strain and I didn't realize it until I got an LCD.

Just for reference, I had a Samsung Syncmaster 997DF CRT so it was a good CRT.

There are only 2 advantages I see to CRTs. Number 1 is price, Number 2 is resolution scaling, which is good for gamers because a lot of gamers play at 1024x768 which wont look so good on an LCD with a native resolution of 1280x1024. On the other hand, on both CRTs I've owned, the desktop and text got very blurry (in comparison to an LCD) if I ran it on anything higher than 1024x768.

If you have a good graphics card, you won't have to play on 1024x768 anyways, you will be able to handle 1280x1024. Being that LCDs no longer suffer from response time issues, poor color quality, poor brightness, and blurred text, why is it that gamers are still so insistant on CRTs and will bash LCDs and anybody who buys them?

I dont really care what i use as long as it works. I have a CRT with a 35ms respond time and that gets on my nerves. I would prefer an LCD because it takes up less room that i need.

gaara said:
Native resolution is a big issue IMO

I do see that point. I myself sometimes miss playing games at 1024x768 on my CRT, because 1024x768 is the best resolution for a balance of performance and quality. However, that is the only thing I don't like about my LCD. Picture quality at native resolution blows my old CRT away.

HDR LCDs are interesting...i will have to keep up on them.

*EDIT* A few months back, I was so close to going back to a CRT because gamers rave about them and diss on LCDs so much, but then I did a side-by-side comparison for myself and decided that I made a good choice by moving to LCD.

I love the LCD on my laptop. I will be getting on for my PC soon. The color, brightness, and clarity is so much better.

Those HDR LCDs are awesome! I always wondered if they were going to make a way for a black screen to be truly black. lol

BandwidthHogg said:
I do see that point. I myself sometimes miss playing games at 1024x768 on my CRT, because 1024x768 is the best resolution for a balance of performance and quality. However, that is the only thing I don't like about my LCD. Picture quality at native resolution blows my old CRT away.

HDR LCDs are interesting...i will have to keep up on them.

*EDIT* A few months back, I was so close to going back to a CRT because gamers rave about them and diss on LCDs so much, but then I did a side-by-side comparison for myself and decided that I made a good choice by moving to LCD.

OMG on that 37" with the 200,000:1 ratio OMG $49,000 ARE U FREAKING KIDDING ME, JESUS CHRIST THAT'S IS **** EXPENSIVE I SURE HOPE IT COMES DOWN IN PRICE, good lord.

Not to mention....people must purchase upper end imaging hardware.

No cheesy mom and pop video camera will do. Images from a single ccd come out yellow and not white....digic isn't magic either......and black comes out brown......but crummy 3cdd camcorders are coming out for the cheap a55es out there.
CMOS single shot cameras are starting to slowly replace single ccd triple shot cameras.

Also, HDR will not really be good for extended use......you would basically have constant eyestrain.........its like looking straight into the sun for too long.....or straight into on of those xeon bulbs........its really not sutable cor everyday use.......

As for CRTs.....they do have better response times and they tend to last a lot lot lot lot lot lot long than an LCD.......good old cold war technology.......

HDR LCDs by canadians prooves that things are a little slow in canada especially when OLEDs are on the horizon.......OLEDs do not need an ultra bright backlight like an HDR.....nor a backlight at all....

Oleds....paper thin...transparent when off....rollable....no bulky backlight....no liquid crystals......just ink on a transparenty.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom