Why did my mobo fry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

herzblutx88

Solid State Member
Today I was setting up a new pc. AMD 64 3000 socket 939 processor, 120 gig hd, 512x2 ddr 400 ram, dvd rw, 9800 pro.

Well I had everything set up and connected, it all looked good. I didnt close up the case because I wanted to test it first. I made sure the psu had the right voltage setting. Plugged it in, hit the power button and poof, up comes a grey wisp of smoke from the mobo. I didnt get a good look because it happened so fast, the smoke seemed to be coming from underneath where a brass riser was placed or from the slot area where the sound card went in.

What are some causes for a mother board to smoke like this? I was sure all my risers were in place. When I put in the soundcard it was hard to put in, i had to push it in hard to get the metal to slide past the mobo and case.

I checked the mobo top and bottom for scorching but I never found any.

Also I should mention that when I powered up, the processor fan started spinning but after the smoke came out of the mobo it all stopped. Is it likely everything that was connected is fried... :(

man i feel bad 4 ya!! that wrots!! My thought would be if it was grounded! some cases have holes where you put a brass post to ground the mobo and other cases have bump ups to hold the board!! im not sure if the bump ups actually ground it properly!! Sry 4 the bad news !! sounds like the cpu and mobo are gone

Man this whole ordeal has sucked majorly. I had the mobo on all the brass stands, no doubt about it. Ive made several pcs in the past with no problem. When I hit the powerswitch the smoke came up from the wiring of the mobo im pretty certain. Well the new mobo should get here today or tomorrow. I had to pay 60$ just to mail the defect back, almost enough to entirely buy a new one... When I get the mobo Ill test and see if the ram and pc are fried. I ordered all this from new egg, if my stuff was fried because of a mobo defect will I be supplied with the new parts? Man this is bs, never ordering mobos or processors online ever again, if I have to mail back the processor and ram thats gonna cost a great deal...

To mail it back for a refund. I live in ny, the company newegg is in california, total f*ckin bs to mail a package.

I believe newegg also has a store in Tennessee(sp?)

So you should have been able to send it there....either way though theres no way it should cost you $60 just to deliver it to california...a mobo weighs what...MAYBE 2 lbs after it's in the box with wires and everything in it....regular USPS ground shipping at the most for your distance shoulda been like $10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom