Why are AMD processors incompatible with 533 and 667 mhz RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickc284

Baseband Member
I am in the process of building an AMD system to replace my P4 3.0C system and I was just curious as to why AMD processors do not support intermediate memory speeds such as 533 and 667.

I know that with AM2 there is now support for DDR2 800, but I don't know why their memory controllers are not upgraded like Intel's to meet new memory speeds more regularly.

What can you tell me?

System (in the works)
AMD 64 3700+ (to replace P4 3.0C 800 FSB)
DFI UT nf4 Ultra-D (to replace Abit IS-7)
2x 512 Corsair Value PC3200
Thermaltake Venus 12 (to replace Coolermaster)
WD SATA 3.0 80 GB
Audigy 2 ZS
2.1 Audio
NEC DVD+-R

Well, I mean why did they wait until DDR2 800 came around to make an upgrade? Why skip over 533 and 667 while those were out and let Intel make their hardware compatible with faster RAM? Does it not make enough difference in performance to warrant the effort?

AMDs use up to DDR400. While the faster speeds can be used with no problem, they are actually only useful once you overclock the CPU.

You have to overclock DDR to match, but not the faster RAM. It is already there.

AMDs use up to DDR400. While the faster speeds can be used with no problem, they are actually only useful once you overclock the CPU.

You have to overclock DDR to match, but not the faster RAM. It is already there.

Ohhh. That sounds interesting. What speed is the memory you're using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom