Why AM2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDiceman

Space Ninja Pirate
Forget about Conroe fro a moment.

What is your reasoning behind AM2 over 939 (if you have one). Yes, 939 is at the end of its life cycle, but AM2 is looking to have quite a short life of its own with AM3 already in teh works. DDR2 is great, but from what I understand the preformance boost it nothing THAT impressive. SO what woudl be teh best reasoning behind going AM2 over 939, a rather commmon reccoemndation I have noticed lately.

The only reason I can think of is because DDR RAM is also nearing the end of its days, and you could upgrade to DDR2 now and have RAM ready for your next upgrade. Other than that, I don't know. AM2 offers hardly any performance increase; it's just not worth it imo. Plus, there are a ton of great and well-priced motherboards out there right now for socket 939, which I can't say the same for AM2.

Khann said:
AM3 will be compatible with AM2 motherboards as far as I know...

I believe you have it reversed. AM2 cpus will be compatible with AM3 motherboards. Not 100% sure though.

they are gonna be changing things so fast its gonna be hard for anyone to keep up, lol

dont forget quad core, DX-10, Vista and who knows what else...

Here's the cold and bitter truth: If you don't want to spend lots of money upgrading your system every 6-12 months to play the latest games, get a console and a lower-end computer for internet usage. I know I might be generalising a little bit, but that's basically how it is.

buy high end computer..

for 2 years you'll be able to run everything on high-max
for another 2 years you'll be able to run everything on medium
for another 2 years on low settings..

a gaming system can last 6 years!

ok.. so maybe i exxagerated.. cuz my pentium 2 / k6 computers from 6 years ago can't run jack... so make it 4-5 years to go from max settings to low settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom