my brother gave me his computer w/o hard drive

p4 2.6
some dying ecs motherboard
1 gb ddr 2100 or 2700
old nvidia card
dvd rom
cd burner
480w antec psu

when i got the computer i tried putting my old 40 gig hd from my compaq, it would find it but whenever it loaded windows it said there isnt a hard drive... so i was thinkin bout doing some upgrading. I will get a spending limit of 1000 dollars.

Should i get

new mobo
new Ram
7800gs
new hd

or scrap the whole thing exept the case and just start over

fyi i dont want to spend all the 1,000 dollars if i can

Scrap the whole thing and start over.

DFI mobo, 1GB PC3200 (upgrade to 2GB later), 7900GT or GTX, Athlon X2 processor

Well first off if the case is a standard, you can not worry bout the new case. I would say get a nice HDD first then work my way up. ****, 1000 bucks is alot. So I would upgrade all of it. BTW, you might want to upgrade the PSU to 500-600W. P.S. Boit3ch, your avatar will haunt me forever.

i dont know if i can fit that in my budget and i wanted to also get a flat panel monitor

I would say start anew one. You could use your cd/dvd drives and your case if they are decent. I think it will be hard too buy a flatscreen with that money and still have a very good computer. What do you plan on doing with that comp? Gaming or just regular apps?

gaming and my old compaq isnt cuttin it amd tbird 1.0ghz

i have a compaq crt but it is takin alot of room on my desk i dont have

i dont think i will be able to afford a dual core and still have enough for a top of the line gpu. i was thinkin 7900 gt

i just wanted to know can you install windows with the upgrade edition

im thinkin amd 3700

You can install windows with the upgrade, you just need a previous windows cd too verify the upgrade. In fact, thats what i did and it works fine.

Are you going to be overclocking?

dfi mobo about 130$
250gig hd 85$
xfx 7900gt 300$
antec tru power 550w sli 90$
corsair xms 1gb 103$
amd 3700 348$

=921$

this is allitle much because i want to get sound card, speaker, maby a couple of games, screen

what are some things you would downgrade i need yall guys opinons

im in to overcloking but have never done any becuas ive been on emachines and compaqs and so forth.

this is my first build but im always doing research and have my bro which knows the ins and outs.

I NEED TO PLAY SOME GAMES

It all looks ok, you don't really need a sound card unless you are a music junkie or plan to have high definition surround sound speakers, at least that's what I understand, and here's a hard drive that's $79 after a 50 dollar rebate http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2143105&sku=THD-250A2, I know it's not much cheaper, do you live in america? because you can check out www.tigerdirect.com and they always have good deals on computer parts. It's where I got my set up from.

Edit: You might can downgrade the PSU to about a 500W, I'm not sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom