Where should I start?

My family and I are possibly going to upgrade our internet connection soon, right now we get 4mbps. I would like to be able to host at least 30 players at a time right now. Any suggestions?

P.S.: I will be running a bukkit server

I'm assuming that's 4 down... what about upload speed?

You'll probably want a quad, or at least a decent dual core since it's a lot of processing to generate all the chunks. That and a decent amount of RAM.

I'm assuming that's 4 down... what about upload speed?

You'll probably want a quad, or at least a decent dual core since it's a lot of processing to generate all the chunks. That and a decent amount of RAM.

4mbps down, 1mbps up.

What is your description of "a decent amount of RAM"?

I've never hosted a MC server that big, so I couldn't really say :p. Probably at least 8GB. CPU is going to be important as well because of all the chunk generating/destruction/etc. going on...especially if you're running mods.

I've never hosted a MC server that big, so I couldn't really say :p. Probably at least 8GB. CPU is going to be important as well because of all the chunk generating/destruction/etc. going on...especially if you're running mods.

Yep. What about the power supply? How do I calculate a wattage?

4 mbps down / 1 up will not cut it for anything over like.. three players sadly :tongue: My 60 down / 6 up feels the squeeze with ~15

That would be your biggest thing holding you back.

At least a quad core with 8GB RAM. My server regularly hits ~7.5GB used (with a dozen or so plugins mind you), though it wouldn't matter much with only a 1mbps upload.

Last edited:
As high as humanly possible :tongue:
My download is fine. 60 is more than ample.. It's that 6 up that kills me.

Back
Top Bottom