Where does it come in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phase-Six

In Runtime
What im talking about is the heat transfer/putty stuff for the cpu and the cpu cooler fan. What should this come with? I haven't yet bought the cooling fan and I was hoping it was going to come with it. If it came with my cpu (e6300) Core 2 duo and I was wondering if they forgot it or something, or do I need to buy it seperate?

if you get a retail package cpu rather than an OEM one it should come pre-applied to the stock heatsink fan. if you are buying an aftermarket heatsink fan it will normally include a small tube/packet of thermal grease. failing that you can buy a tube os AS5 (Arctic Silver 5). however i reccomend you use AS5 anyway as it's superior to the stock pastes. you can remove the pre-applied stock paste with something alcohol based such as high purity isopropyl or methylated spirits. follow the instructions on arctic silver's website for how to apply it.

I use 90%+ isopropyl alcohol to clean off every surface that is going to be transferring heat.

You should be able to get some of that alcohol from your local drug store. I use q-tips to dip in the bottle and whip the surface with it. Don't touch the surface with anything else after its clean.

Two "rice grain" size drops of as5 is all you need on the cpu. Some ppl spread it out with a credit card (i clean the edge of the credit card too) or some ppl just put the heatsink on it without spreading it and let the heat spread it out. Both methods work as far as i know (i stick with the credit card method, never tried just letting the heat do it).

The thermal paste that came with my e6400 actually came in a little pouch that was in the box. However you should make sure didn't buy an OEM. Retail should have come with it. Also like nitestick suggested I would get some AS5 to apply.

Phase-Six said:
Hmm that might be what the black strips are but I thought it came seperate. I was planning to use a zalman for over clocking to keep it cool, is the thermal paste going to come with it? Heres the link : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223

Let me qoute myself here. I have read that zalman isn't as well as the products are cracked up to be. So after looking I was wondering if this cpu cooler is compatable with my e6300 and good with OCing
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186134

As far as thermal compound goes, AS5 is the undisputed champion of the world. (I don't use it, but that's only because i've got a tube of Akasa AK-450, which is almost, but not quite, as good)

As far as cleaning the old compound off goes, every techie, techie website, and PC-World-know-nothing says "You MUST use isopropyl alchohol to clean thermal compound!". I have survived this far using spit and toilet roll.

My Opteron is overclocked by almost 50%, my idle temps never reach 35C, and I've yet to see 56C under heavy load. (but then, the arctic 64 pro might help!)

I'm not saying you shouldn't use isopropyl alchohol to clean your 'sink, but i've never had a problem using good ol' spit and a rag.

Not arguing with anyone, just my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom