When to upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammytheman

In Runtime
Hey fellas I was wondering when to upgrade my PC. I want a fast gaming machine that would last. I currently have:

DFI NF4 SLI-DR
2 gig RAM
AMD 64 3500
BFG 7800 GT

I guess my mobo and RAM are OK but the video card and CPU needs an upgrade. I got my CPU in NOV. 2004, and got me pretty far. Now that GeForce 8800 is out, the previous generation cards look primitive
:amazed:

upgrade when you feel you need to.

do the games you play lag? does your computer programs lag?

if yes upgrade
if not dont

Your CPU is a little above mine, my GC is a little above yours.

I'm looking at getting a dual-core when I get the chance.

If you want to do a little upgrade You could get a dual core opteron for about $160 on newegg. Get another 7800 or sell yours and get a 7950gt.

But do you really need to?

Now is the perfect time to upgrade IMO. The new generation of Intel CPU's and Nvidia GPU's are miles ahead of the old generations. I bet the people who bought AMD FX-60 processors and Nvidia 7900GTX video cards last spring are kicking themselves. But then if they had the money to buy that they probably have the money to upgrade again now... darn rich people.

Keep the CPU, the 3500 is a great little processor, but if you have to upgrade, go for an X2 processor, it should fit the same socket.

But, since all your parts are pretty good already, if you are going to upgrade, go ahead with the upgrade and get an X2 or Fx processor and a nice GPU. Otherwise, keep what you have. My setup is a little worse than yours (slightly better video card, slightly worse RAM), and I can run all the new stuff just fine.

my system didn't cost that much at all overall.
I just got a Sempron 2800+, 2x512MB RAM, and put in a 7900 GT.

I voltmodded the 7900, overclocked it to 750MHZ, and I can play most games at max settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom