When to update bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

WWS

In Runtime
I was reading an article in a magazine that pretty much said to only update the bios if a problem with the motherbaord exists,
Is this a true statement??

I have read other posts where others are updating their bios but listed no problems with the motherboard.

Just curious.

Only if there is a problem that you currently are showing or if there is updates to menu, for example overclocking stuff. Otherwise, dont bother you may do more harm than good and if you mess up have a worthless board at worse, a huge headache at best.

Yea if it's not broke, don't mess with it, unless you overclock, then you might want an updated BIOS for some beneficial things.

BIOS flashing was primarly developed so that the BIOS wouldn't have to be replaced when new hardware with needs that the current BIOS didn't support.

For example, For some older computers the BIOS could be flashed so it Could see larger harddrives, The flash would provide it with a new Harddrive mode such as LBA or ECHS.

Just be careful though I upgraded my bios something crashed during the process. And although it says f7 all applications see it still as F2. Not to mention i could no longer access my hard drive, Only get a new BIOS if somethings seriously wrong or upgrading to a dual core.

baronvongogo said:
Just be careful though I upgraded my bios something crashed during the process. And although it says f7 all applications see it still as F2. Not to mention i could no longer access my hard drive, Only get a new BIOS if somethings seriously wrong or upgrading to a dual core.

so i have dual core and dfi sli-dr. when do i have to update bios? btw this comp hasnt been turned on yet. (i has been turned on but no vcard yet so i cant see anything yet...)
should i update bios after initial bios set up and after installing windows and all? or before that?
and is 623 bios is the right 1?

Im sure that board will support dual core already Just older mobo`s dont have dual core enabled, I use award bios F7. Your computer will still load up if you put dual core in but it wont recognise both cores just one I think. Go to your mobo`s website and find your bios on thier and see if its new and supports dual core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom