When trying to plug in WD 3TD, Windows 7 will not boot

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi again.

Ok, this is on my new security build.

Strange, I have never seen this before. Hopefully it is very simple and I missed it.

Everything working perfect. Today, I received my new WD Red 3 TB. Very excited to install it.

I unplugged my Seagate 2 TB, plugged in the WD Red 3 TB, and my screen says, "Insert boot media or change boot order."

What the heck happened?

Even after I unplug the WD 3TB, same message. The ONLY way I can get the system to boot into Windows 7 is to put the darn Seagate 2 TB back into the computer!

I have checked the boot priority in the BIOS, and it is set to the Intel SSD. My Windows 7 is on the Intel SSD, NOT the Seagate! But it appears as if the computer is thinking the Windows 7 Pro is on the Seagate, not the Intel.

What the heck is going on? What might I have missed?

Please help! Tomorrow I need this computer up and running to set up wireless internet at our new location.

Thanks,

Soar

PS Here are my present components:

Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced - Mini-ITX Computer Case
Intel i7-3770k
ASRock DDR3 1333 Intel - LGA 1155 Motherboards (B75M-ITX)
Corsair Vengeance RAM 1600 8GB
2-Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1850 RPM case fans
2-Coolermaster fans 120mm and 70mm.
Modified ARCTIC COOLING A7P-75000023 92mm CPU Cooler [will shave/mill 5/8" off the top]
Corsair CMX 400
Intel 160GB SSD
Seagate 2TB HDD

Attachments

• My drives.JPG
    My drives.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
When you installed windows, you had the 2tb drive connected along with the SSD drive. Windows probably installed your BCD (Boot Config Data) file on the 2 tb drive, Now that you have removed the drive, your boot loader is gone too.
You can clone your 2 tb drive over to your 3 tb drive and everything will be just as before.

You might be better off to install your boot file on your SSD
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm

Last edited:
When you installed windows, you had the 2tb drive connected along with the SSD drive. Windows probably installed your BCD (Boot Config Data) file on the 2 tb drive, Now that you have removed the drive, your boot loader is gone too.
Windows 7 loads all of the boot configuration data onto the drive with most available space. Like what JoeC said, you'll have to clone the drive or re-install windows.
Always, when you install Windows, only have the OS drive plugged in, and leave all of the other "data" drives unplugged until the installation is complete. That way you know all of the boot information and what-not will all be on 1 drive.

Thanks guys! I usually only have one SSD or HDD installed when installing Windows. I suppose I was too much in a hurry.

Tomorrow, I will remove the G2020 and replace it with the i7-3770k. So I think it may be best to simply reinstall Windows, but this time with ONLY the SSD installed.

Thanks again for the help!

Soar

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I usually only have one SSD or HDD installed when installing Windows. I suppose I was too much in a hurry.

Tomorrow, I will remove the G2020 and replace it with the i7-4770k. So I think it may be best to simply reinstall Windows, but this time with ONLY the SSD installed.

Thanks again for the help!

Soar
With a new board, right?

You put 4770k instead of 3770k.

Whoops! My bad! I suppose there was some wishful thinking involved too!

I edited the post to show 3770k. Sorry PPM!

BTW, when I looked at the 4770k it didn't look like much of a performance jump at all.

Also, the MB's were quite expensive.

And finally, most of the low power boasting appear to be at or near idle only!

What are your thoughts on the matter? Did I make the right choice?

Soar

Haswell is simply a 10% overall increase over IB like IB was to SB. Most of the power savings will be found in the mobile market. You can still get cheap B85 boards for them, but a K CPU is wasted on anything but a Z board really. We won't see any real performance increases until Haswell-E comes out and the mainstream market will follow with DDR4 in 2015. Still though, every incremental increase is more of a step ahead of AMD. All that matters to them.

Back
Top Bottom