When should we build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr DMoney

In Runtime
Alright, my cousin is wanting to build his first gaming rig. I am helping him build it, well I am helping him put the right specs together. What I am asking from the forums is when is the best time for him to purchase all the parts and piece it together? We both want to computer to be future ready, meaning the ability to upgrade as needed in a few years when the next wave of consoles hit. I am thinking of having him wait untill ivy bridge releases where there will be pci-e 3.0. Today it may be unnecessary but tomorrow it will be the standard. What do you think? Should he wait? His budget is not super tight, but he dies want a good bang for his buck.

Honestly if you take that approach, then when would there ever be a good time to build? No. Cause technology never stops. So if you wit for PCIe 3 then USB 4 will be next and so on. So you can only future proof of PC for bout 2 years ahead, max.

I would start buying around Nov if your really want. Back Friday and Cyber Monday we be great days to get deals.

Yea, there is truth to the fact that technology is always changing. However standards don't change as quickly. The problem that I am trying to tackle is have him build a computer right after the standards change so he wont have to update the entire system to play games come 2013-2014. On my system I can play most new games modestly, however with the new age of video game graphics getting closer I doubt that I will be able to even play the games that come out post next generation. I want to make sure that my cousin will be able to easily upgrade his graphics card as I am sure that pci-e 3.0 will be required soon enough. I think waiting for ivy bridge would be a good move as it will use pci-e 3.0, and have usb 3.0 on the chipset.

There's no sense in waiting for PCI-E 3. There's barely a difference between PCI-E 1.1 and 2.0, at high resolutions up to approx 3%...big whoop.

If you want to wait, then only wait until Bulldozer launches in a few weeks...then depending on reviews get that or Sandy Bridge.

I know that graphic cards today wont see much/any benifit using pci express 3.0 because they don't even utilize the full bandwidth of pci-express 2.0 however when that threshold crosses over the benifit could be noticeable. My question is when will graphics cards utilize the bandwidth beyond 2.0? On a side note, will the extra bandwidth benifit sli/crossfire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom