When setting up raid 1 do can you use sata drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course you can. Just make sure they're the same brand, size, cache, and rpms...or just get two of the same hard drive.

Some will also Raid ide together with sata. Ideally drives are identical, but will work with different sizes also. Just defaults to the lowest-capacity drive though, and you'll not see the "excess" space on the larger drive. They can be different brands, even different caches.

not to hijack this thread but my new mobo only has one ide socket, and four sata sockets...is there a good internal adapter to change my hard drives or opticals into sata...cause id rather not buy new hard drives.

Plenty of serillel adapters available, around $15 each...do not work for many opticals though. Mostly HD's...

Is the raid 1 actually good for home use. It will have farm data that is important. Would it be just as good to have two hard drives and do regular backups to it and once in awhile to backup to dvd.

thats basically what your doing with the raid 1, except it backs the data up for ya. You could back the stuff up on dvds yourself if you wanted to and it would be the same thing, except if your HD does fail you'll lose the data that you didn't back up to dvds up until then.

But as many are pointing out to me if info on my one disc fails it also fails on my other disk. I am not talking about the disk failing but the info that is being written.

After doing a lot more reading on the subject I have come to the conclusion that raid 1 is not all that safe and there are still issues that can cause you to lose your info. The safest to me is to have two hard drives and a seperate backup partition and also back up to dvd. What is the best backup software out there?

dude raid 1 is where you back up everything automatically.

so if one drive fails, the second one has all the info on it, so you can just use your second hard drive.

its the safest you are going to get when it comes to security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom