when did opterons overclock the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrZucchiniHead

Daemon Poster
when i first joined the forums i heard something like this "you used to be able to get on opteron to 3.0ghz easy on stock cooling". why isn't it like this anymore? theres probably an obvious reason but im a noob when it somes to CPU's and overclocking.

to my knowledge, they can still overclock very well. If you look at the newegg review for the 146 some dude got it up to 3.4 and it is solid as a rock, been there for a month now with no problems. What you saw was probably someone getting one of the opy's that isnt as good at oc'ing

thats kind of how overclocking works, its a shoot and miss...

it also has to do with burning in, like i wouldnt overclock a cpu for at least 3 months of normal use, then drop the voltage for a bit then go from there

And also the quality of the silicon used. The best silicon is used on the first batches, and then they use poorer quality for later ones to reduce the production costs.

Opterons along with all server CPU's are made with very high quality silicon meaning they overclock extremly well.

thebleakness said:
Its also due to the stepping of the cpu. The earlier steepings tended to OC better and the new ones have gone down in OCing capabilities.
Thats usually true, but not always. The new 0550 stepping that came out on the dual core opterons is doing as good, if not better than the 0530TPMW stepping that was once considered the "golden" stepping.

Trifid said:
And also the quality of the silicon used. The best silicon is used on the first batches, and then they use poorer quality for later ones to reduce the production costs.

Opterons along with all server CPU's are made with very high quality silicon meaning they overclock extremly well.

So does this mean when the first AM2 CPU's come out that they will overclock really well and as time goes by they will overclock less?

oh no! So what if I wanted to buy an opty 165 in june when i get all my graduation money (building an entirely new system). I intend to OC to aleast 2.4GHz on air with a Zalman 7000CU. Will I be foiled in my plan?

no they will still overclock quite nicely. a zalman CPS9500 would do better but with some good memory you could still get an opty around 3.0ghz just depends on your stepping. and maybe water cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom