When is Best Time/Brand?! HIGH END COMPUTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is pretty basic stuff when you build a computer, there are plenty of resources to help you build it, and even motherboards nowadays come with instructions to build your whole computer. And for the static electrictiy part of it, you just make sure you dont work on the floor, you ground yourself by touching the outside (metallic) part of the case before reaching in, and you leave components in the static bags until needed, you should be fine.

Ok Intels dont suck, *Bangs head against door for saying evil things as well* but they are not good compaired to a AMD...and When you build a computer, take your socks off, wear a anti stactic braclet and DONT do it on a rug..:)

Tyler1989 said:
Based on some specs it is possible for Intel to be better than AMD in the next gen.
Very true. The new presler cores are already out. They are 65nm chips, but I haven't seen any benchmarks or reviews yet.

hm... is AMD also leading in the applications area of things? like running desktop programs? cuz I want a CPU that can handle a lot of desktop applications like mp3 encoding programs, dvd encoding, MS word, C++... and I want to play really good games as well. But it will be pretty much used for desktop applications, BUT i want to play realistic games too.

From what i know, INTEL does better in the applications and AMD does better in games...

uzi9mm said:
a $1,500 retail computer is equvilent to roughly a $950 built computer.

Keep that in mind, and consider building your own.

I wish this was true. I think it's more like $1500 retail and $1250 BYO.

Intel generally does better in apps that need pure clockspeed for completion. As far as I know, that only includes video/audio encoding/decoding.

The next generation of Intel processors (Merom, Conroe, and Woodcrest) will sacrifice clockspeeds for performance and heat/voltage conservation. The pipeline in the new processors will have 14 stages, as opposed to the ridiculous 32 or so that the current Netburst architecture has right now.

As far as I know, the highest clockspeed planned for the Conroe (at release) is 2.2GHz, but remember, all Conroes are Dual Core processors. Still, that does nothing to match AMD's Dual Core offerings, which go up to 2.6GHz (I doubt the top-of-the-line Conroe will be cheap).

The new architecture (which I still don't know the name of) has lower clockspeeds, comparable to AMD's K8 architecutre clockspeeds. Infact, the new procs are better per Hertz than AMDs. Just slightly though, a 1.9GHz Conroe = 2.0GHz Athlon 64 X2.

Again: All the new Intel processors will be Dual Cores. No more single cores from Intel.

No idea when these are coming out.

Go AMD :)

HAVOC2k5 said:
I wish this was true. I think it's more like $1500 retail and $1250 BYO.

a build your own computer for about 1250 would probably retail for about $1900-2000....... When I mean retail, I mean a computer you can buy at best buy or places like that.

Retail... would buying a Dell online be retail? because I'm looking into buying a Dell...
Man, when are they gonna stop selling the Pentium 4's (including the dual cores that are basically Pentium 4's) ?!?!
I want the new CPUs for desktops!!

First off unknown envy, your knowledge of cpu's consists of what you read on these boards so less comments like " intel sucks," from you would be good.

Second buying a dell is dumb unless you want to buy a 500 dollar computer for internet surfing, if your looking for gaming. Build your own, cause your going to overpay a retailer for a top of the line computer.

d0ntcar3 said:
First off unknown envy, your knowledge of cpu's consists of what you read on these boards so less comments like " intel sucks," from you would be good.

Second buying a dell is dumb unless you want to buy a 500 dollar computer for internet surfing, if your looking for gaming. Build your own, cause your going to overpay a retailer for a top of the line computer.

Well, not everyone knows how to build their own computer. Although I PROBABLY could, I don't want to risk it. I'd rather see someone build it who knows what they are doing... and THEN i'll try to build my own. But I've never seen it so.... don't wanna risk it. Plus, it wouldn't be dumb to buy a dell if you are rich and money isn't an issue, but if i was rich i'd buy a voodoo. :)
or try to build my own like 2493 times. :)

I thought they were making Core Duo's for DESKTOPS... when are those coming out... argh!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom