whats more important when buying a new video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Core Speed (so I guess GPU speed).

Also take into account the # of pipelines. A 600MHz card with 4 pipes is going to get smoked by a 300MHz card with 12 pipes.

600x4 = 2400
300x12 = 3600.

Thats a general comparison. Add a few hundred points to that when comparing GeForce 6 and 7 to anything below and including a Radeon X850XTPE since the Radeons don't have SM3.0 support.

Core and memory speed should already be optimized by the card when you buy it...both are important and all cards have both frequencies balanced...it'd be pointless to have a 500MHz core and 5GHz effective memory and vice versa

You also have to take into consideration memory bitrate

so essencially... my radeon 9800 pro (core-378, piplines-8) would be 3024...

so the card im thinking of buying from a friend (6800gt oc) with core being only 370 but the piplines being 16 would be 5920... little bit of a step up...

hmm

but the x850pro that ive been eyeing up has a 500mhz core and 12 piplines totalling 6000... interesting...

so technically the x850pro really isnt that much better than the 6800gt oc? am i right?

X850Pro is actually worse than the 6800GT. Remember what I said about GeForce 7 and 6 and anything below a Radeon X850XTPE? Only the X1000 series of Radeon cards have Shader Model 3.0 support. Since all the other Radeons lack it (and anything above and including GeForce 6 supports it) that gives the GeForces about a 500 point increase or so, I'd guess.

Shader Model 3.0 (name for Pixel Shader 3.0 and Vertex Shader 3.0) is something used in all modern (respectable) games. You don't NEED it to run the game, but its a performance booster and cards that have it will perform better and also will support more "eye-candy."

oh yea... for got about that part...

so id be better off buying the 6800gt oc from my friend?

im just looking for some better performance over my 9800pro... espically in bf2 and doom3

Pepsiboy700 said:
Yeah definatly do that. It would be a huge performance boost over that 9800 pro. How much does he want for it since agp is 6800gt agp are currently not made.

he wants 220 for it..

good price?

Hell yes. A AGP 6800GT would cost you $350 upwards if you were to buy it retail from a store, even an online store. And the PCI-E 6800GT still costs around $270 for one from a reliable company.

already emailed him about it :)

hopefully i can pick it up this weekend

thanks guys for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom