what's holding my pc back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about suggesting a 7600GT? I think that's a fine card for the new generation games. Well you can't probably play anything crazy, but I guess it's what you pay for.

^ thats perfect idea... that drops it to a little over 500$.. thanks for the suggestion

If you expect to play a game like farcry 2 or crysis at a resolution of 1280x1024 or greater you are going to need a 7900gs or better and a dual core cpu....

It is going to be a way better option for you to wait and start fresh with a whole new tower then to pick away at that Dell.

So you need

CPU
Motherboard
Graphics card
Ram
Power supply
hard drive
case
fans
operation system

For a cpu go with a good core 2 duo... a c2d e6420 is a great value at just over $180.. also a great overclocker

So to get the best outta that cpu you need a strong overclocking motherboard, the Gigabyte p35 ds3r is a awsome setup.

Pick up 2 gigs of some ddr2 800mhz G Skill ram for $85

a Rosewill power supply maybe a 550watt for $57

the hard drive is up to you, IMO something like a 320gig. make sure it is a sata not IDE

for the video card, either a 8800 or a 7900 depends on how much you want to spend.

You could build a system like that for easily $1000 with an operating system and 8800gts.

jeez ppl...im just looking to upgrade my proc + video card and MAYBE the PSU but from the dell forums ive read it doesnt look like ill have to. Dont tell me how i could build a better system just let me know if this is a good idea for MY pc.

Upgrade Pentium D 820 (2.8ghz) to Pentium D 940 (3.4Ghz) and upgrade Geforce 6800 to Geforce 8800GTS 640MB

According to my research, this should run DX10 games (doesnt matter cause i dont hav vista and should run today's games (with exception of Bioshock, Crysis) on max or near max settings AND it should also run super games (Bioshock, Crysis) with mid-high settings and smooth gameplay. Correct?

Wouldn't the CPU bottleneck the 8800GTS? I say, just overclock your CPU instead of upgrading it. You'll get that 820 to the 940 speed.

8800GTS 640MB is worthless. The memory has no affect in performance increase. Overclocking the 320MB would show a great increase in performance and also save you plentiful of money.

Ya, just get the 320mb version.

You asked how to play next gen games at some high settings and we told you.

Don't waste your money on upgrading the cpu.... just get the new graphics card and power supply...

But if it is a dell then the power plug on the motherboard might be different then that from a standard atx power supply.

and it doesn't matter what parts you get, there will always be one thing that is limiting your performance

Ya, just get the 320mb version.

You asked how to play next gen games at some high settings and we told you.

Don't waste your money on upgrading the cpu.... just get the new graphics card and power supply...

But if it is a dell then the power plug on the motherboard might be different then that from a standard atx power supply.

and it doesn't matter what parts you get, there will always be one thing that is limiting your performance

Uh huh, you go brother. My motherboard is totally limiting me from overclocking my CPU past 2.6GHz. :rolleyes:

i would hav to upgrade the proc. my BIOS is locked and my mobo doesnt work with programs like Clockgen...but ill research a little more but then probly upgrade the video card and the proc. thanks for all the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom