What's a good type of Desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I spent the day looking at parts and trying to figure stuff out, I sent a list of them to my bro, he said he'll check them out more later but at first glance they look all good ( as in compatible I'm thinking) and I got the total price to $790.92 I'm thinking as low as possible, but still a not rock bottom computer, so my dad will agree with it, because otherwise the idea might just be dropped for a little while lol :p

We both picked the same CPUs

The Motherboards we picked I don't see much of a difference but one is $100 more expensive, and one is SLI ready and one is something else, maybe I will swap them out though:
Newegg.com - ASUS M4N75TD AM3 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard <--- the one i saw

Memory pretty much the same, I'll probably end up switching to yours: Newegg.com - OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3BE1600C8LV4GK

GPU, Like I said I wanna be able to game, but I'm not gonna do that much gaming, just casual SCII, not a whole gaming computer, so I think I should spend less there, I was thinking this one, cheap, but works Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

PSU, I'll probably switch to yours, cheaper, and if you think it will work just fine that I'll use that lol :) Newegg.com - Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

Cases: I would think this would be more place to save money, the one I saw had 2 fans included :) Newegg.com - NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Hard Drive: I was looking at that one before I think, I'm not really good with this stuff so I'm not sure how much memory I'll need, but this is the one I was looking at before, I guess yours is probably just as good, if I need more room then external hard drive ftw?
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DVD Drive: under specifications it says " Operating Systems Supported Windows Vista, XP, 2003/2008 server" I was gonna use Windows 7 >.< and idk if I need DVD burner, is that like so...I can make other copies of DVDs? lol

mine: Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - CD / DVD Drives

Thanks for the help though, I think I'll be changing some stuff :)!

Well that looks like a decent build. for the price tag.
-First suggestion is if you would like to save about 10$ on the PSU grab this one Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W ATX12V v2.31 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply its the one I'm using in my system and it is a 750w like yours with almost all the same connectors. (and will support the other items you picked).
-Second is to avoid the Western Digital Green Hard drives get the black in what ever storage amount you think you need. i picked the 500 cause it was cheap i use a 640 in mine and yes external for anything not game related or software related. I have not heard good things about the green series but if anyone on here can say otherwise then get it, because i have not owned one so i cant say from experience.
-Third The DDR3 memory you selected i heard was good but i also heard good things about the G.Sills i picked. but before you decide check to see if they are on the Memory supported list from ASUS. ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards - M4N75TD
-Fourth Go with the DVD burner i posted its cheaper and it reads disc, so even if you don't use it to burn DVD/CD it will save you a few $
I wish you luck!
P.S. Do you already have a copy of Windows 7 64bit? if not don't forget to add 100$ to your price tag.

Alright, I'll have to check the memory thing out. So I went from $790.92 to $800+ ( I added Windows 7) and now I'm down to $774.91 WITH Windows 7, I might replace the video card with this one, since this one is NVIDIA Video Card. The burner you posted said it supported certain operating systems, but Windows 7 wasn't one of them. That's why I was gonna use this one, but I'm still not sure if this is compatible or not, if anyone can tell me. Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - CD / DVD Drives
The PSU I was gonna use is $10 cheaper then yours, not more expensive ;D Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

And alright, I'll look around more for different Hard Drives then :)

DVD burners are pretty standard, you generally don't have to worry about compatibility with them as they usually use generic drivers anyways. Even if Windows 7 isn't listed you shouldn't have any problems using it in Windows 7. It may just be an older model from before Windows 7. If Vista is supported then Windows 7 should work great since they are similar. The only issues you may have are compatibility with bundled software though I always provide my own burning apps (ImgBurn mainly, but sometimes CDBurnerXP for data discs).

Also there is no reason to go with an nVidia card if you're trying to save money. ATi's current cards are very good and more affordable than nVidia's, though the GTX460 may be within your price range and generally it is considered a better deal than most of nVidia's higher cards. The ATi cards support up to 3 monitors if you're considering a multi-monitor setup (nVidia supports up to 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom