Whats goin on here??

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomic3

Solid State Member
-for anyone who cares, i posted this thread in the general pc forum, and wasnt sure if it related to general or preformance so im posting here too.

***several days ago i recieved a brand new Dell XPS m140 as a gift. It is running a windows XP os (just to clarify) The processor is running at 2.0 ghz, Pentium M, and there are 2gb, yes two gigabites of ram...

thats where i worry. because although it is running in dual channel mode...2 gb is alot, and i certainly dont use it all up for basically anything i do (the most memory sucking program i run is 3d cad...but it isnt that intense)

i have a problem though...my mouse pointer shows an hour glass thing for fractions of a second, very frequently, even when im not doing anything. im wondering if this has to do with the whopping amount of RAM the computer is operating with. ?

What should i do?? if need be, i would prefferably like to set configurations in my computer to better utilize this memory, rather than remove the extra stick... i dont know, im no expert and need anyones help.

i really appreciate your input

thanks,
gabe

...you make it sound like 2 gigabytes of ram is a huge amount..... umm no, its average in custom built pc's these days... so no it has nothing to do with that...

Welcome to the forum, atomic3.

The 2GB of memory is great. Don't ever be concerned about having too much memory. Many of the new games are memory hungry and to run smoothly, they require that much.

As for the hour-glass. This is more related to your HDD. It appears when your HDD is seeking data. You may have a HDD problem.

or not... windows is constantly having to grab new stuff to keep it running.. its like water, evertyhing needs its recources... and yes, you can be concerened with too much memory.. for example, 4 gigs sucks.. lol

the more the merrier, i say :p

im getting 2 more gigs to ad to my current 2 gigs, and my other computer has 8gigs :-D

well, aside from the hourglass querk...ive been real happy with it. it does get the job done and fast i might add...but i have so much extra memory. im glad no one is concerned about that, but do you know anything i can do to make use of some of the extra? can i give some to another resourse to put it to use and make other things alittle more snappy?

thanks again,
gabe

there are times when i do alot of multitasking, but nothing too much...so thats why im thinking 2gb is too much for a notebook used primarily for media and occationaly heavy multi tasking and 3d cad.

My advice to you is, set back, relax and enjoy computing with a good machine.

The 2GB of memory will do nothing to cause you problems!

Well, it's not doing anything but helping your system run better. 2gb is awesome, you should be happy with what you have. If you do a lot of multi tasking and CAD, then you will probably be utilizing a lot of the RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom