Whats the deal with the Athlon 64? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Whats the deal with the Athlon 64?

Ok. I've been out of the loop for a little while. All of the systems i've built have been non-64 systems, and i've noticed now that most of the vendors are carrying 64bit motherboards & processors, which is now officially making all non-64 systems obsolete (even though i personally love my soon to be archaic 32bit systems!).

Well, i come to ask this question... what's the deal with the Athlon 64?

I mean... i remember a year ago people were posting fears about how certain programs wouldn't work, how you'd need a 64bit version of windows, how most hardware wouldn't work properly, i'm sure alot of it was just projected fears about the new change in the upcoming wave of new processors, but how much of it is true?

I have yet to build an athlon 64 system. I'm actually thinking about building my first in the next 2 weeks, and i'm researching parts for it. I might start placing orders by tuesday for all my parts. I'm wondering though, and again i stress the fact that i've been out of the loop for a while now, are there compabitility issues with the athlon 64 systems and software? Are there any issues i should be aware of when putting a 64 system together that i'm not already aware of when i build my normal run of the mill 32bit systems? Aside from the usual things: get a 64bit processor for a 64bit board, etc.

I'd like to hear from those who have built athlon 64 systems. Does one need anything special to put one of these babies together, or is it just like building any other pc? Fill me in, please! I know the cache's are much larger, and the fsb has more than doubled since the days of the regular athlon xps.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

The Athlon 64's can run 32bit and 64 bit instructions. Everything will work fine. The problems you described would only occur if it was 64 bit only.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Hmm. Interesting.

Does someone actually make a 64 bit only processor then?
Old 12-11-2005, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I do believe the Intel Itanium is a 64-bit only processor. Correct me if i'm wrong, though.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

You wouldn't want a 64-bit only processor.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

yeah, those are for servers, AMD has a 64 bit server processer, and so does Intel.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to lazerman Send a message via Yahoo to lazerman

AMD's server CPU is the same as their desktop cpu (socket 939 anyways).
Old 12-12-2005, 12:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thanks everyone. You've made me feel more comfortable jumping into the amd64 universe. I can rest undisturbed now knowing i should have no problems putting together my next build.

Order is going out tomorrow.