whats the best cpu for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
until conroe... then people will change their minds.... i'll still have my s939 though.. hopefully a quad sli board..... i plan on trying.. everyones just bombing on something that has barely started.... give it time, it'll get better, and when/if it does... i'll have it.. and hopefully a huge monitor to run the 4 lucky cards with

For all you people who say "Dual cores arent optimized for gaming, so stick with single" you need to realize, just because it's yet to be optimized for it, doesn't mean it'll suck at it. Generally they perform about the same as a single core processor that's of equivelant clock speed, maybe a couple frames lower, but that's not really a big deal. Beyond that, future games WILL be multithreaded.....I believe Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion coming out in a couple days will infact be multithreaded. So really theres no point in not going dual core.

well.. an opteron doesnt have the unlocked multiplyer like the fx60...
Yeah but an unlocked multiplier is really of little importance. You get more benefit from raising the HTT than you do just bumping the multiplier. Of course it also helps if you've got RAM that can follow that HTT to some degree, but really, an unlocked multiplier is no reason to pay that much over another CPU that'll probably hit the same speeds if not higher.....guess I'll find out as I have an opty 165 on it's way

i'm with nubius, grow up you whingers. multi-cores are the future. some people say that it is "a waste of money buying a dual core for the future because by the time games are optimised there will be better ones, so just buy a single core" are full of crap. buying a single core is even more of a waste of money because it will be out dated even quicker. currently the best "stock" gaming cpu will still be the FX-57. overclock the FX-60 by 100mhz (incredibly easy) and it will equal the performance of the FX-57 ON ONE CORE. just keep in mind people if you don't use the dual core patches that one core is free to crunch whatever the heck you want in the background: video encoding, virus scans, heck even rendering. dual cores are superior and that is fact.

On the subject of gaming CPUs, I just ordered a new PC from Scan which I intend to use solely for gaming. I have another PC for Work, MS Office, email, etc.

Spec as ordered is:
Abit AN832x S939 NF4 SLi Main board
AMD 4400+ Toledo
XFX 7900 GTX Extreme 512Mb
2Gb Corsair 3200 RAM
1600x1200 monitor.
etc.

The person I spoke to at Scan told me that it wasn't worth getting a 4800+ for an extra £100 because for gaming purposes the graphic card is far more of a factor than the processor and I wouldn't notice any difference if I had a 4800+ instead.

While I appreciate a salesperson trying to save me money, is this good advice or is it worth laying out an extra £100 for the 4800+ instead?

I also decided to hold off getting a second 7900 GTX because he didn't think I would notice the extra fps on any current games and I would be better adding it later when I needed it. Is this also good advice?

I still have a couple of days to change the spec if i need to.

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Yeah, he is right, for free you can overclock by 200mhz, which you can literaly go straight to (depending on ram, but you will need to stick the HTT multi to 4x.)

i have an fx 60, its bad ***. It can overclock pretty decent on air cooling. I got it up to 2.9 totally stable and only a small increase in temperature... 2.9ghz is faster than an fx 57.... The fx 57 has a single 2.8ghz chip... the fx60 has 2x2.6 ghz chips. Overclocking an fx60 can easily get you faster than 2 fx57 chips. yea it does cost a lot,, but hey if you want the best of the best, its what you will have to do. You can wait a while for prices to go down... a long long time, and by then something better will be out.

jseber1982 said:
.... The fx 57 has a single 2.8ghz chip... the fx60 has 2x2.6 ghz chips. Overclocking an fx60 can easily get you faster than 2 fx57 chips.

When will people learn that dual core doesn't mean you have 2 x 2.6ghz chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom